Author Topic: Tips to skinny?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline IrishJay

Tips to skinny?
« on: April 10, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
I'm working on a black walnut r/d. So far it's my first attempt at a radically reflexed bow that I haven't broken a limb off of trying to shape in the flex. I did however get some cracking on the outside radius (belly side) on this limb. By the time I removed the damaged wood I was left with a 1/4" thick, by 3/8" wide tip, tapering up in both dimensions going toward the handle. Before any bending the stave measured 73" , the plan was 72" ntn, 50lbs @ 31". Do I still have enough wood left for that?

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline PatM

Re: Tips to skinny?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:01 pm »
 I doubt it.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 04:00:08 pm »
Underlay, underlay ;D ;D

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 04:10:25 pm »
DC, I'm not firmiliar with how to do that, is it just a belly lamp on that skinny outer part of the limbs?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
Yup. People usually use darker wood and do both tips and just keep quiet about why they're there. ;)

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:38 pm »
I have some red oak strips I saved from a board now project. Can I glue it up with TBII?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 04:20:08 pm »
titebond is good (-S

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:25:03 pm »
I tried Red Oak underlays on an Ocean Spray bow and it collapsed on me. That's the only time I've used it though. It was the only time I've used underlays. The tip didn't break and so I replaced it with Ocean Spray I think. Could have been bad Oak. It was just a piece that I had kicking around. Maybe someone else has had different luck. Whatever you use bend it to match the bend of the tips before you glue it on.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 04:34:39 pm »
I might be able to dig up some useable size pieces of the heartwood from the log this stave was split from. Unfortunately the boss (wife) made me clean the garage this past weekend, and i burned most of my scrap pile, so its slim pickin's now.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 04:54:55 pm »
Ok, upon looking around my options are, red oak, black walnut sap wood, ash (green I think), and black cherry. Thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 05:21:14 pm »
I think the cherry would work. I'd make it thick, 3/8" and reduce it later. You may want to pre-bend it to the shape of the tips before glue-up and be sure both glue surfaces on each limb are well mated before gluing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 05:48:24 pm »
Pat, I was thinking the same thing. From what I can find, out of my choices the walnut and the cherry are the best 2 for compression strength and I think the cherry will add a nice aesthetic.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »
Once you add the underlay you'll have to retiller those areas so they work with the rest of the limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
Keep in mind you still have to get a flat glue surface.  You'll be reducing even more.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:18 pm »
Pat B, I haven't started tillering yet, so that shouldn't be an issue, I'll just do a normal floor tiller.

Pat M, I did all of the reducing on the tips with a block plane, so they're fairly flat now, I think I can get them flat enough for glue with a sanding block from here.