Author Topic: ash, cherry, mulberry trilam  (Read 8204 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

ash, cherry, mulberry trilam
« on: April 27, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »
Good afternoon all,

I've been working at the trilam thing this past winter and a few have come out nicely. I love the way they shoot. All of them are getting speeds in the 180s and are super smooth. I decided to post this one first cause I harvested, seasoned and prepared all of the wood myself. Something about that makes me feel very connected to the bow if you know what I mean.
Anyways...

ash backing, cherry core, mulberry belly
64" ttt
55# @ 27"
water buffalo tips and arrow pass
leather handle from a belt I got at a thrift shop

Thanks very much for looking.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: ash, cherry, mulberry trilam
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:32:12 pm »
4 more
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:32:42 pm »
last 3

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »
What a nice bow that is.Well done.180 fps wow. What grain arrows are you shooting? Love the profile.You made it from wood you harvested. That is great.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:20:00 pm »
Classy as always.  Looks smoooth and fast.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rps3

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:52 pm »
Great looking bow, I bet it is a sweet shooter.

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:32:09 pm »
Outstanding! I already started to miss your bows here but this one was worth to wait  ;D
--- the queen rules ----

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »
Thank you folks.

Bassman, The 180s are with my tester arrow which is 550 grains. Most of my bows are between 50 and 60#, so I use that one. Well, that and I haven't made any arrows for a while, and it's the only one I've got.  O:)

Thanks a bunch SLIMBOB.  :)

Thank you rps3, I do love the way it shoots. Mulberry is so light, on release it feels like the arrow comes zipping out of the netherworld.

Thank you kindly simk. I guess it has been a while for me. Work has been keeping me very busy lately.  (R

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:17:01 pm »
Very nice Jeff. I like the Ash,Cherry and Mulberry combination. Looks good and nice numbers. That's a really interesting unbraced profile. The full draw looks like you have all your reflex working nicely and string just coming off the recurves. Thinking that's really helping your numbers.
Bjrogg
PS pretty soon you'll be playing tag with the parents again and then we'll get to see more bows.

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:37:36 pm »
That’s a mega nice bow. I wonder if the black cherry core has to do any with the exceptional speed? I’ve heard cherry does very well in transferring energy to the arrow and it’s lighter in mass. Sweet bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 06:51:27 pm »
Grea job! You used wood I've never even seen. Is the backing cut off the outside of the tree or how did you prepare that?

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 06:59:39 pm »
Beautiful bow. You did an excellent job all the way around.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 09:03:38 pm »
Thanks BJ. I've done enough of these now that I've been able to get the reflex working without loosing all of it. The multiple lams really help with that. Steve's no set tillering + trilam = good numbers.  :) And I can't wait to tag the parents! It seems like a long way off though...

PMW, not sure about how the cherry is contributing to speed. I have some growing on the property and I figured it might make a decent core. Seems to work pretty well.  :OK

Thanks Don. The backing is quarter-sawn from a 10" diameter ash tree. I quartered the log with a sledge and wedges, then used a chainsaw to slice off a piece thin enough to work with the bandsaw and jointer. Finished it off with the belt-sander. Actually, I used the same exact process for the cherry as well.

Thank you Steve.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:54 pm »
Nice combination of wood! always enjoy seeing bows made from something different. Looks like you got that style down to boot. Well done.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 10:02:24 pm »
Very nice bow!  I hope I can do one as nice some day, but, one step at a time! :BB.  Methinks, perhaps you should get at least another arrow!  Shoot, chase, shoot, chase is a bit of work - shoot, shoot, chase is more fun!  Unless of course you just need more exercise going down range! >:D (lol). I had that experience with my first atlatl (AT)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry