Author Topic: CA glue and belly toasting.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline IrishJay

CA glue and belly toasting.
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:32:44 am »
If I'm going to put tip overlays on bow using titebond gel CA, should I wait until all tillering and belly toasting is done? I'm just wondering how the heat from toasting will affect the CA.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

Re: CA glue and belly toasting.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 12:13:09 pm »
The heat will undo the CA but you don't have to toast it right out to the tips. As long as you stay an inch away from the glue it will be OK. If you're paranoid you can wrap the tips in tin foil.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »
Wait until your done with heat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 05:35:53 pm »
Heat will vaporise dried CA glue, just like on an episode of CSI, when they stabilise fingerprints on a glass in a fume cabinet.

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:17:13 pm »
I accidentally heated too close to a glued on nock on one of my earlier bows.

The nock didn't just fall off suddenly, but it weakened the glue bond to the point where the string ripped it off when I tried to string it.

Interestingly the heat seemed to vaporize some of the chemicals into the wood itself. I had to sand down a noticeable amount before reaching "fresh" wood to glue the nock back on.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:42 am »
AND if you want to destroy your lungs breath some of those fumes.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:37:49 am »
AND if you want to destroy your lungs breath some of those fumes.

Yeah, eyes water, coughing fits, burning nasal passages... like an atomic onion bomb went off in your face.

^ That's experience talking.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:27 pm »
Thanks for all the input gents, I was looking for something I could do on this now while I wait for the wood to dry, but I guess tip overlays aren't it. I'll wait until all my tillering/toasting is done to mess with that.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »
Start another one if you really can't wait to do something. Go find some more wood. Make some arrows.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:21:19 pm »
I have a laminate I'm working on too, I'll have to stay busy with that for a while.