Author Topic: what should I charge?  (Read 6417 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: what should I charge?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 10:22:45 am »
i think make it a give it away a few more times,, then if all goes well you can consider selling in the future,,
if they insist on giving you some money for materials etc,, you can make that decision at the time,,

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 10:34:17 am »
Yeah, I can’t make money on them if you do the math, but I have a room with lots of finished bows on the wall. I won’t make someone a “custom” bow as a rule, kids or friends being the exception, but I will sell one that’s finished. Customize it up a bit.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline airkah

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 11:01:37 am »
I think whats more important than the price is that you are able to show him how to string the vow and take care of it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 11:31:57 am »
Or, you could suggest a donation to a charity, you know, like, I usually charge $x per hour, this took 20 hours, perhaps you could donate a suitable amount to ...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »
I give them away as gifts to archers and friends.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »
Jeff your original question was how much. I think that's a personal thing. I know I have different prices for different reasons. Some people get a really good deal. Some pay a bit more. Some bows I'm not that attached to and some I'm very attached to. Some are in between. I honestly think as long as everyone is happy it's a good trade. I think we all worry about unscrupulous bowyers giving our selfbows a bad name. I do. Maybe we need some talented bowyers giving selfbows a good name. I hope whatever decisions you make you have a happy trade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 02:25:41 pm »
I agree with Pearly that if you make quality bows you should feel comfortable selling them.

The question then becomes, do I make good bows? I'm still in the process of answering that for myself.

My approach is to give them away to people I know will shoot them often and/or hunt with them. I've now given away 7 with no breaks and nothing but positive feedback. I gave the first one away about a year ago. I'm gonna give it another year, and if the record is still good, I'll feel comfortable selling them. If/when I do, I think I'd start with $300 for a simple bow made from quality materials.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 06:56:51 pm »
Jeff, you should sell and you have nothing to worry about.  I am sure anyone buying one of your bows would be very satisfied with it.  I have many people ask me where they could buy a bow like the one I got from you in the bow trade.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 08:47:23 pm »
If you are going to sell bows you should charge a decent price otherwise you are just undercutting a professional bowyers business.
Then you will get a ton of orders for one of your cheap bows, and soon realise you are working for peanuts. It either won't be worth your trouble, or you will have to drastically increase the prices, and people will still complain even if they are getting a fair deal.

People like a bargain, but they also won't value something if they think it was cheap.

There is a risk of someone suing if it breaks and injures the shooter, but that would be the same whether the bow was a gift or purchased.

I haven't heard of anyone getting sued from a self bow breaking. I have bought quite a few bows from professional bowyers all a round the world without any reservations, about them breaking. None have broken in my possession.

You definitely will need at very least verbal and/or written instruction about how to care for and not abuse a self bow or all wood bow. Otherwise you are asking for trouble. No dry firing, overdrawing, worn strings, too light arrows etc. Refunds will only be given if you get evidence the bow breaks from a fault in the materials or workmanship of the bowyer. Its pretty easy to tell how and why a bow breaks, from a bow autopsy.

Materials for bows are select material, with straight grain, free of knots, not run of the mill boards. A lot of hard work goes into selecting, cutting, splitting and drying wood until its suitable for bowmaking. That free stave of yew or osage you cut has retail value of at least $100-$250
depending upon the quality, so your final price needs to accurately reflect those values. Even a stave of ash, hickory or maple is worth at least $40. These prices have been the same for the last 25 years with no inflation.

$300 US would be a bare minimum for a quick to make reasonable bow from a whitewood. Decoration, heat treating, and or recurving, the price increases accordingly. Yew, or  osage bows I have seen for around $500 up to around $1200. There are quite a few bowyers of incredible talent on this site that should be able to charge in the higher bracket. Most bowyers seem to charge a lot less. They aren't relying on it as a main income, and their "real job" is subsidising their semi pro hobby. Some bowyers are letting functional and artistic masterpieces of  bows go for a bargain.

Eventually the Govt is going to notice your business, and they are going to want  tax. Are you factoring that into the price?

When it comes down to it selling bows is a business like any other and if the figures don't add up, you aren't going top make a profit, and you will stop selling bows pretty quickly becaues the motivation is gone. I have seen this happen to many talented bowyers.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 10:26:31 pm »
 (-P

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 06:23:03 am »
I have sold about half the bows that I have made, between 75 and 100. I replace any broken ones no questions asked even though I suspect some were abused.

I started selling bows after my 40th bow when I thought my skills were up to par. I used the money for hunting club dues and equipment for my shop, for instance, my bandsaw is a three bow bandsaw.

My pet peeve is people who get stars in their eyes and think they have a Rembrandt of a bow when it is actually the equivalent of a child scribbling then sell it to someone who doesn't know better for big bucks.

The liability issue and not wanting a job (I turned down up to 12 people a month that wanted one of my bows) stopped my bow selling. I still donate bows to charity auctions and give one away every now and then but only to good friends.

I don't see anything wrong with selling bows but after turning a duck carving hobby into a business and getting burned out I have kept the bow making a labor of love, not a job.

I can admit now that the only one who knew about one of my bow sales was me and the customer. After spending around 75K on a traveling to tournaments as a  vendor, trucks, trailers, chainsaws, shop building and a large assortment of power and hand tools to make 10K I felt the government had no business in my pocket.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 11:22:04 am »
Thank you all for your perspective and expertise.  I can't disagree with any of it, even when opinions contradict.  There is no way I want to make a business out of making bows, or even a habit of selling bows much.  I think every situation is different. In the one I in here, I feel like the best thing is to treat it like a professional, and charge fair price.  But trading is by far my preferred method -- one of the reasons I like this site so much.  At least in the trades I have been involved with here, people seem to go out of their way to make the other side happy.  I have only had good and great experiences, and none that I would call bad (although I know they can happen).

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
Maybe trade for a 50 cent an hour raise ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »
My pricing started at $150 20 years ago, I raised it to $300 about 15 years ago, snake skins were the price of the skins and $50 to put them on. I could have gone much higher on my prices as all the FG bow prices skyrocketed but chose to keep it $300.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 01:41:42 pm »
sometimes gifting a bow to the boss,,, can be more benificial in the long run,, just a thought,, )P(