Author Topic: Snakeskin question  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Andrea S

Snakeskin question
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:31:38 pm »
I was considering purchasing a snakeskin from eBay (since I can't seem to find anyone willing to trade me for what I'm looking for, which would preferably be garter snake or some other type of brightly or uniquely colored snake in a similar fashion) but it's a back cut snake skin, meaning the interesting pattern you're looking at is actually the belly scales of the snake. Does this present a problem when using it as a backing over sinew, or does it lay down just like a normal skin?

Thanks,
Andrea
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline artcher1

Re: Snakeskin question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:03:28 pm »
I done a few with that type of skin you mention and it works fine. Only sinewed bow I put one on I left the sinew uncovered and used the skin on the belly of the bow. Named it "Slider" ;D.-ART B

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »
I am going to be going on a snake hunt here pretty soon to dig up some cotton mouths ;D I here their skins are Greecer than other skins, what processes should i go about while prepairing and applying these Black skins to an Osage bow?  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:32:51 pm »
Ty, scrape the flesh and fat off of the inside and tack them up, scale side down, and let them dry. You can degrease the skins with acetone or alcohol before gluing them down.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:29:24 pm »
Andrea lets us know how it turns out my wife wants me too build her a bow Osage with a green back snake skin of some sort
                                       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:26:29 am »
Andrea...the bigger Belly Scales don't like to lay down as nice as the Back an Side Scales do....what kind of Snake is it??? Is it a raw Hide....or is it tanned?? If tanned...how was it tanned....these are all necessary Questions...because a Glycerin Tanned Skin will not stick...unless properly deoiled....and Chemical Tanned Skins ...only add looks ...no strength....they are too thin and have no stretch to them.... I would help you out...but all I have right now is 20 Rattler and 2 Black Cobras....the Snakes are still underground here....will be another Month before they are out and about.....good luck......Yankee
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:35:55 am »
I know where a winter nest of garter snakes is but will be a month before it thaws enough to get you some .. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:42 pm »
I think Aries is the first person I've heard of that was actually looking for cottonmouths!  YIKES!

I only kill copperheads because they are so dangerous due to their terrific camo and their tendency to hang around the house.
I'd probably kill mocs too if we had some around here.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:50:39 pm »
Cottonmouths will Chase you back....so be ready....I have never seen anything as Mean as an Oklahoma Water Moccasin.....they will climb in the Boat with you...for the Fish you bring in....I have beat them to death with a Boat Oar before!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:12 pm »
My goodness!! Almost makes you feel bad for goin' after garter snakes, they don't harm anybody!
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »
My goodness!! Almost makes you feel bad for goin' after garter snakes, they don't harm anybody!

Yeah...but a Garter Snake is soo much nicer to look at than a  Moccasin is.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »
how bout black snakes. we see them in summer usually hit by cars and i bet they would make a cool lookin backing.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 11:36:50 pm »
how bout black snakes. we see them in summer usually hit by cars and i bet they would make a cool lookin backing.

What is a Black Snake??? Moc's are Black....so are Pine Snakes ....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 11:37:49 pm »
sounds like it could be a tar snake.lol ;D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 11:43:35 pm »
Yankee i'm not sure what they're real name is but we call them Black snakes here too.  They're a nonpoisonous snake that is usually between 3 or 4 feet. Solid black in color with a lighter belly.

Wayne Silverthorn