Author Topic: How do you guys cut down trees?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

How do you guys cut down trees?
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:07:56 am »
So Parnell suggested I use some of the black palm we got here. Now, it may not seem that big but I don’t cut trees that are 10+feet tall too often. I know how to do it in general but do you guys have any tips you could share?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: How do you guys cut down trees?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:38:05 am »
Cut it low to the ground. Notch it where you want it to fall and back cut it above the notch. I've fallen 7" round pignut hickory with a hand saw before. Lol I dont recomend it but it is a good workout. )W(
 )-w(

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:00:02 am »
If black palm is a true palm it isn't like any other trees, it 's made up of long fibers like bamboo. I've tried to cut palmettos on the SC coast and it actually binds and stops a chainsaw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:29:14 am »
I guess I should have considered the type of tree. I've never even seen a black palm. I dont think.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:35:30 am »
Carefully!  If you’re going to do it by hand, be sure your axe is sharp!  The notch method
allows you to guide the fall, be sure to plot your escape route before you start cutting
no matter what tools you’re using.  Safety first, if it doesn’t look safe, it isn’t!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:58:18 am »
Depends on how tall it is and where I want it to fall.
Either way it’s a good idea to have a set of wedges and a felling axe to compliment your saw.
I’ve been a licensed faller for 10 year and I don’t recommend falling unfamiliar timber... at all.
Wish I knew more about palms but I’ve never cut any. I would imagine it’s like a dense piece of solid boo or something. 

There a 3 basic felling cuts(all can be done 1000 different ways).
Over in my neck of the woods we use what’s called the ‘Humboldt’ mostly bc timber is priced by board foot so loosing precious inches can be a costly add up. Very predictable and stable cut as well and like to pop the holding wood and jump out just a hair.
But when I was cutting in places very dense hard woods and some invasive exotics, I just copied and took advise from the locals who preferred an open face cut, or some call it a bird mouth cut.
But that’s what I would do if nothing else ask a local who has experienced. Falling is dangerous. It’s not just the tree itself that’s the danger it’s everything around it and everything it touches or lands on that can get ya in a very bad spot.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:26:02 am »
Where do you live, Jacob? There could be potential bow wood in the 2" to 4" diameter that will make you a very nice bow. Small diameter trees are a lot less work and a lot less dangerous to cut.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 01:13:35 pm »
Also pay attention to the wind
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »
I ran into black palm a few times in Panama.  I picked the thorns out months later.  I'm not sure we are talking about the same tree. 

we use a chain saw at Twin Oaks.  :-)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee