Author Topic: vise  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
vise
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:14:25 am »
so my question is, should I get a 6" vise or a 8" vise for staves? im thinking 6" because if a staves 8" i could just split it to get another stave.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: vise
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:40 am »
I personally like my shave horse. But if you go with a 6" make sure it's a little better one. I had a cheap one and it didnt last long.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 10:25:36 am »
For a vise, I would go with a 4 inch, so you can grip just the handle section. Anything bigger and you will be into the fades.

That said, I agree with Jakesnyder, I prefer a shave horse of the sit or stand type. Especially for really rough work. When you get to yanking on a vise, that starts to beat up the bench you have it mounted to.

Buy the best you can afford. Better tools will work better and last longer.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:23:18 am »
I have a 4" Record that works great. I sometimes wish it swivelled but any swivelling vice I've ever seen was broken or close to it. Probably cheap ones.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:20 am »
Try to find an older one that says Made in the USA on it.  They are usually built sturdier than the newer models for sale.  Same goes for draw knives. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:03:16 pm »
where can I go to find one Osage?

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:32 pm »
im looking online and am finding 4" ones but they only open up 3"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »
where can I go to find one Osage?

junk stores, flea markets, estate auctions, yard sales, etc.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DLH

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 03:09:58 pm »
I’ll add FB marketplace in my area the USA made craftsmam,Columbian,Wilton(non bullet nose), and reed can be had for $80-$100. I’ve been checking it just about everyday and have bought one columbian.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »
For a vise, I would go with a 4 inch, so you can grip just the handle section. Anything bigger and you will be into the fades.

That said, I agree with Jakesnyder, I prefer a shave horse of the sit or stand type. Especially for really rough work. When you get to yanking on a vise, that starts to beat up the bench you have it mounted to.

Buy the best you can afford. Better tools will work better and last longer.

Kyle

X2
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 05:37:50 pm »
On wood, I use a woodworker's vice with a leather lining. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 06:10:59 pm »
I have a 5 1/2" colombian and a 4" multi position swivel, both work for staves but I prefer the colombian over any vise I have used so far. The bigger vice with let you put some serious clamping pressure on a stave to keep it in place.

The advice on going small to stay on the handle doesn't ring true. I may put my stave or bow in the vise anywhere from tip to tip. A shave horse has limited use compared to a good vise set-up.

A few pictures; My easily removable vice pads and my vise and support post combination. The first vise picture was an old one when I used magnetic rubber vice pads, I added a later pic of my easy removable pads.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:19:27 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 06:20:40 pm »
Something to remember about the jaw pads. They use up jaw travel so the vice that used to open 4" now only opens 3". And you will want them.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 04:09:59 am »
Eric, what I meant about a 4 inch vise, was that you could clamp the handle section without the jaws contacting the fades. If you have a 5 1/2" vise, there is no way, without narrow, thick vise pads, that you can clamp the handle only, without getting out onto the fades.

I beg to differ about shavehorses being of "limited use" compared to a vise. I personally don't care for the parallel jaws on a vise, especially when trying to clamp pyramid limbs. I don't care that I have to work at a stationary bench that the vise is mounted to. I don't like chasing jaw pads around my work area.

But, that's the beauty of bow making, each person has their own preferences and styles, and tool kit that works for them.

Kyle

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 05:10:36 am »
I 've used an old 4" vise for most of my work ( I'm too cheap to purchase and too lazy to make a bowyer's bench). Early-on I glued a heavy strip of rawhide from the local saddle shop to the jaws; if additional padding is needed I fold a rag or wash clothe and slide between stave and jaws. Yeah, go American if you can.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.