Author Topic: White Oak Backed Eastern Red Cedar Longbow  (Read 6960 times)

Offline jareddchazen

White Oak Backed Eastern Red Cedar Longbow
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:13:26 pm »
This bow has a short story over a long time. Two years ago I found a dead straight grained board of Easter Red Cedar that was 8 feet long, 8 inches wide, and quarter sawn. I made a Meare-Heath replica with it and had more than enough to make a longbow. The Meare-Heath is a 90% finished project. I was worried that it wouldn't hold together being as ERC has a low tension to compression ratio, so I backed it with linen then set it aside. Life, work, all that jazz got in the way until a few weeks ago. I picked up the ERC longbow, planed off the linen, ripped down some quarter sawn white oak and glued it all up. Here is the result.

I was originally going to have self nocks, but when I had a small split at one of the nocks in the oak, decided to put antler tips. The wood tips would have extended a couple inches in the fashion of the bows found in Scandinavia and Ireland (possible "Viking" bows). The antler was put on to replicate the deflexed tips. I kept the outer 3rd or so of each limb stiffer, but still bending.

Now onto the important stuff:
Draw: 59 lbs. at 28 in., was going for 50-60 lbs, when the tiller came out good at 59 I called it good.
Length (NtoN): 67 in.
Width at arrow pass: 1 in.
Width at mid limb: 7/8 in.
Width at nocks: 9/16 in.
Thickness at arrow pass: 3/4 in.
Thickness at mid limg: 5/8 in.
Thickness at nocks: 9/16 in.
Thickness of backing: 1/8 in.

I don't have a way to measure arrow speed, but it's faster than any other longbow I've made.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: White Oak Backed Eastern Red Cedar Longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:16:36 pm »
Very nice Jared!  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:36:18 pm »
Not a big fan of the tips but it is a very nice bend :D :D

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 05:42:14 pm »
upstatenybowyer: Thank you!

DC: They're definitely not for everyone. The deflex tips in general are odd looking for sure. It took me a long time to warm up to them.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »
I hate to be ‘that guy’ but I would bring that bottom limb and a little in the handle around a bit more.

I love white as a backing material stands above hickory in my book. Great nocks👍🏼
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 08:08:14 pm »
nice curves, I wasn't sure about the tips, but after your explanation I think they look pretty neat.

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:32:27 pm »
Bryce: I did notice the stiff limb in this picture. Previously it was bending even on the tiller stick and in other pictures (taken a couple weeks ago) that I have of it. Hoping it's more the angle of it, I tend to cant my bows when drawing them. But I will throw it on the stick tomorrow and see how she looks. Never not be "that guy."

I'm loving white oak over hickory lately. May just keep up with that.

Rakua: thank you.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 05:39:28 am »
Looks like you have your horn tips turned the wrong way, they usually turn away from the belly. Your string nocks are on the right side.

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 07:25:38 am »
Eric: No, they're not. That was intentional. As I said in the post, it is in the same direction as Irish and Scandinavian finds.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 11:26:26 am »
Bryce: I did notice the stiff limb in this picture. Previously it was bending even on the tiller stick and in other pictures (taken a couple weeks ago) that I have of it. Hoping it's more the angle of it, I tend to cant my bows when drawing them. But I will throw it on the stick tomorrow and see how she looks. Never not be "that guy."

I'm loving white oak over hickory lately. May just keep up with that.

Rakua: thank you.

Sometimes our dominant eyes sees things different than the other. Flip it around a few times on your tiller setup. Sometimes I’ll take something round like my coffee mug (I think del uses a CD) and check the tiller against that curve.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:59:18 pm »
Going to do that tonight after work.

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 04:02:07 pm »
Bryce: Checked the tiller on the stick using your method, looked good. Flipped it, still looked good. Hoping it's just angle, lighting, optical illusion? I don't know. I do appreciate the advice and will do that from now on just the same.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 10:06:30 pm »
Double check where your handle is set on the top and that the pull string is where you nock an arrow. Sometimes that can make a difference. Most of my nock beads are at about 1/2” above the rest, and the arrow goes underneath. I start there and can adjust if need be.
Either way it’s only slight. a 1/4” positive tiller is considered normal with a longer upper limb.
I wouldn’t worry too
Much about it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:09:54 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline jareddchazen

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »
Bingo. Nocked in the picture an inch or so higher than on the stick.

Thank you!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:19 pm »
Bingo. Nocked in the picture an inch or so higher than on the stick.

Thank you!

Right on 👍🏼
Clatskanie, Oregon