Author Topic: string alignment on self bow  (Read 4325 times)

Offline apg

string alignment on self bow
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:49:21 pm »
I’ve been working a nice piece of Osage and everything seemed right - 30” draw at 55lb, string was in line tip to tip and handle. But then I flipped the tips and the top of the bow was thrown off. It’s in its final tiller, so all I could do is either heat treat and bend it down so it’s more on line with the handle and other tip; or heat treat and twist some of the remaining prop twist. Anyone have any thoughts?

Maybe I’m overthinking this and I should just practice on this bow until I can hunt with it. I mean, the string sits over the handle and shelf just fine.

Offline Hamish

Re: string alignment on self bow
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:22:21 pm »
Its only a cosmetic issue. Leave it alone, it will be fine.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »
  Character...String bisecting the handle, if it is shooting good, enjoy the beauty...Nice looking bow apg...
                                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 07:19:17 pm »
If the string loops will stay on the tips, HUNT with it! The upper loop looks “close” to slipping off. A slightly higher brace height and/or a smaller string loop should solve that.

I’d be proud to hunt with that bow…good job!
H

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 01:39:34 am »
I personally would correct that, which is easy with osage and done in a few minutes.
First twist the tip in the right position, using heat gun and momentum weight. Maybe you have to correct proper string alignment in a second heat session, bending at grip or fade section.

Two Q:
What is the dark color on that bow?
Why that excessive silencers? That will slow down the arrow!

Your bow looks fine btw.!  8)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 05:08:33 am »
Did you use dry or wet heat?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:25:53 am »
I would correct it as well, heat the tip and put about 3" of the tip in a vise and twist and turn it to make whatever corections you need. This won't be a one shot deal, go a little at a time until you have it right. I have done the same on every static I have built to have perfect tip alignment.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:32:31 am »
All the way with simson on this. That heat gun in this case will change a good bow into a great bow. That bow might have good cast but strighting it will improve the cast and help on shock.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 10:48:49 am »
 Unless my eye's are playing tricks on me, I would say that bow is backed...You guy's say heat it up? I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon at this point...I say shoot it, hunt it for now...No way is any heat going on my snake skin, no way...
                                                                                                                                                                     Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline apg

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 03:50:35 pm »
It shoots true and with consistency, and arrows come off this now he’ll for leather so I’m just going to hunt with it. Thanks for everyone’s advice. The staining is the vinegar/steel wool to break up the orange Osage color for camouflage in the woods, and the backing is cobra. Maybe one day I’ll straighten it out but unlikely at this point - more keen to use it and make a new one soon.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:19:29 pm »
I wanted to note,, that even a bow with sinew backing can be heated a bit to align the tips,, if at some time in the future u decide to align them,,with just a little heat, the snake skin back should be ok,, only applying heat to the belly side,, of course,, (-S

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 06:19:07 pm »
  Not mine , no chance...Lol  Heat hot enough to move Osage will loosen hide glue and a sinew matrix and curl or burn a skin...No freak'n way...No chance here...
                                                                                                                 Don
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:41:12 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 06:42:58 pm »
Are you really sure Don ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 07:01:58 pm »
DC, I'm sure of one thing, it won't happen on mine...Lol

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:07 am »
It won't hurt the sinew if done correctly,.its the best way to align a tip,,never had an issue as u describe in 25 years,,.I can see in theory it might happen..I have just never seen it happen