Author Topic: Compton  (Read 7092 times)

Offline JEB

Compton
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:34:18 am »
I drove down to Compton yesterday for the day and only stayed two hours. Seems like the crowd was down and the vendors were way down. Anyone else go and have the same thoughts?  I went to buy some Brownell serving thread and couldn't find a vendor with any on hand. Wanted to build up my supply as they went out of business.  Couldn't find anyone with left wing, full length white turkey feathers either. I had a great visit with some long time friends who I haven;t seen since my wife moved on this spring. Lots of hugs and tears and then I drove home.  I was treated very well by the BCY reps. They know I help out a lot of veterans and kept that in mind when I made my purchase.

I did great a great buy on rolls of leather scraps from a vendor.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Compton
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 04:55:27 am »
I really wanted to go but I couldn't fit it into my schedule.  They had a couple of things to honor my friend who passed this spring.  I saw some video of the bow auction for him last night.  His son ended up with the bow.  I sure wish I could have been there to see that.

Your serving and handle should be delivered early this week Jeb.  I threw in some spools of BCY serving that looked like a similar diameter.  I'll check for LW feathers. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:32:33 am »
Jeb I don't have any left wing white. But I've got a garbage bag stuffed full of natural colored wild turkey if that'd help.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:52:02 am »
Thanks BJ and Outlaw. I am good on most other colors but just ran out of white. I picked up a nice Bear, 30# bow for my grand daughter at a yard sale last week and like most 13 years old's they are into those girly colors so I picked up some bright colors in BCY to make her a string for it. Wanted to  fletch  her some new arrows using white. I will get some from the Footed Shaft

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:10:30 am »
JEB,
Glad to hear you are getting out and about!  Did I understand from your Post that Brownell's went out of business?  Btw, where is the Compton gathering?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 11:15:42 am »
Yes, Brownell went out of business about a month ago. I really like the B 50 and the #4 serving but then again I have been using it for 50 years. You know if it ain't broke don't fix it thing, lol

It was nice going to the gathering, which is held in Berrien Springs about 25 miles north of South Bend, Indiana. I did OK until I ran in to Tracey from St Joe River Bows. Her hugs brought tears to my eyes. She knew my Chris very well. And then later a guy for the Michigan Bowhunters asked me how my wife was doing. Those things set me off.

Time will heal.

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:43:32 am »
Clint,
There wasn't a dry eye in that place when that bow was handed over to his son. Hope you can make it next year.

JEB,
I think the weather was keeping the people away this year. I've attended the last 3 years and it was not as crowded as it usually was. It was my first year vending so I didn't get out of the big tent much but it didn't appear to be as much traffic as there usually is. I'm glad you got out to come though. Tracey is such a wonderful lady. Whenever I need to look for my son I check her booth first. They are always up to some sort of shinanigans together.
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 01:31:42 pm »
What did you set up for CJ?

The last time I went I set up flint knapping with another knapper and there had to be 25 outside the big tent vendors. the place was really cranking. You may be right about the weather BUT the weather is always bad at Compton, lol

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 12:00:54 pm »
JEB,
I was in the big tent next to Selway with the hoods.
You are right though. There is always “weather” at Compton.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:18:17 pm by cjkopec »
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.