Author Topic: which finish for antler?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
which finish for antler?
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:26 am »
Evening!

I am just about to finish a piece of carved antler inlayed into a handle. What is a suitable finish for antler, bearing in mind it will be handled a fair amount; presumably wax will attract dirt and discolour quite quickly? I was thinking of shellac or spar varnish but don't really want to use linseed oil as there is a piece of worked bone in the same piece that I do not want to stain.  Thanks in advance, Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: which finish for antler?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:26:15 am »
I use Tru-Oil as a bow finish and that goes over antler overlays too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:38:17 pm »
Thanks Pat, I used your comment to read up on Tru Oil, only thing is, it doesn't seem to be readily available over here.  I could possibly cut a poly varnish with white spirit, I've sealed air-rifle stocks with that in the past.  Any thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 09:21:29 pm »
I think Tru-Oil is only linseed oil and dryer additives. Any finish like that should work just fine. What are you using on your bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:12:21 pm »
Might check with some local gunsmiths and see what they use.  Your formula should work, though.  Try a test piece.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:42:06 am »
Recently I've been using Danish oil on white woods but linseed oil cut with white spirit under hard paste wax melted and buffed is still my favourite on coloured timbers like yew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
Most oils are penetrating and antler doesn't soak up oil so they would be useless unless they will dry on the surface. Spray or brush on poly would seal them also.