Author Topic: Design question - sinew backed Osage thats pretty narrow  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Sidmand

Re: Design question - sinew backed Osage thats pretty narrow
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 05:59:36 am »
thanks all!  I think I am going to go with 60" tip to tip, which would be about 59" nock to nock after its all said and done.  That should be a decent balance between shortish and still give me some limb to wiggle with.  I can actually shoot short bows pretty well - my most accurate bow is my super magnum and it's WAY short, but I do agree with others regarding the stability of the longer limbs and making it easier to shoot. 

Almost done ring chasing, and I will start a build along thread in the near future.  Don't have a lot of time these days for pictures and whatnot, so it will be hit or miss, but I need this bow to succeed so I will try to ask a lot of questions.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 06:06:04 am »
I am lost in internet limbo, Sidmand. LOL.

Are you cutting down a perfectly  good stave just to use the sinew?

I once made a 64" bow from an osage sucker, with 3" of reflex, that was 1" wide, had a sapwood back and finished out at 48# drawn to 26". You don't need much osage to make a bow.

My style of shooting struggles with shorties.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
I am lost in internet limbo, Sidmand. LOL.

Are you cutting down a perfectly  good stave just to use the sinew?

I once made a 64" bow from an osage sucker, with 3" of reflex, that was 1" wide, had a sapwood back and finished out at 48# drawn to 26". You don't need much osage to make a bow.

My style of shooting struggles with shorties.

Jawge

I'm cutting it shorter to better carry it in my thick hunting woods and because I actually shoot shorter bows at least as good if not better than longer bows.  The longest bow I have ever shot well was 62" nock to nock; most of the bows I made were 60" tip to tip because that was what lumber I had or staves I had available, so I got used to shooting shorter/shortish bows.  I'm using the sinew cause I just really want to make a sinew backed bow and this osage is the only stave I have that I would deem worthy of the effort  :D

I measured the stave yesterday and it's 65" long, so I'm only cutting 5 inches of it off.  I will use that last piece for a knife handle for the skinning knife I'm working on
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 12:33:38 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 12:37:51 pm »
Before you cut your stave try to picture the bow in it and cut that out even if there is a little coming off each end, placing those pins in the best, safest place they should be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 01:36:11 pm »
Before you cut your stave try to picture the bow in it and cut that out even if there is a little coming off each end, placing those pins in the best, safest place they should be.

Pat, by pins do you mean the nocks/ends?  I ask because I was going to do pin nocks and was wondering if you were reading my mind  :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 01:56:34 pm »
I was referring to the pin knots but you should also consider the pin nocks before cutting out the bow. Don't overthink it but do consider the completed bow before you start removing wood. We are using natural materials so you don't know for certain what's under that next growth ring or what will you find while removing wood. This is where experience comes in but even a seasoned bowyer finds these surprises so just be thoughtful as you bring life back into this chunk of wood.   :BB
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 11:22:23 am »
I wanted to add, that I found the quickness of draw,, and ease of movement in a tight hunting situation with the short bow to my advantage,, so much so that I did not feel any lack of accuracy,,at closer range,,and that is my my weapon of choice to deer hunt with,,,, that being said I like all bows,, :) the shorter bows certainly make a fine hunting weapon,,as will the longer bows as well,, (-S