Author Topic: Stack weight  (Read 14309 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Stack weight
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 04:48:03 pm »
I think the total reflex has to stay the same so I'm thinking it has to be reflex deflex rather than just deflex. That said, I've never made a straight limbed deflex bow. Have you?

I have made a few, with up to 2 inches of deflex, one was about 3 weeks ago. I have not had occasion to chrono them, but they do make solid shooting bows. Never made a slow one, I'd say from experience around 170s.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 05:31:12 pm »
That was a very valuable test you did there it clearly demonstrated the benefits to D Flex. D Flex put the limb in the right position to start bending right out of the handle right from the start it makes for a little higher energy storage and takes the strain off of some of the Lim

Do you think that the deflex has to be combined with reflex in order to be effective or is it a "one is good, two is better" thing?

Offline sleek

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:45 pm »
That was a very valuable test you did there it clearly demonstrated the benefits to D Flex. D Flex put the limb in the right position to start bending right out of the handle right from the start it makes for a little higher energy storage and takes the strain off of some of the Lim

Do you think that the deflex has to be combined with reflex in order to be effective or is it a "one is good, two is better" thing?

I know you are asking Steve, but I'd like to offer an opinion. It's to me, as if you were to modify your intake on your car so it breathes better, now it runs more efficiently, but without ALSO modifying your exhaust to handle the extra air you put in the engine  you wont see the full benefit of your intake mods. 

I believe deflex allows a bow to be more efficient, and reflex adds to it by allowing the extra efficiency to be used in extra power.

Basically deflex allows for a more efficient bow, reflex allows for more energy storage. Either can be used singularly. A bow built with only reflex must be wider and have more mass to reach the level of performance that a deflex reflex bow can offer. A deflex bow can offer more efficient cast per draw weight, but its low initial string tension reduces the total energy stored in a bow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2019, 03:38:01 am »
Don did you get a better string angle as result of the D/R ? My guess is you did !!!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2019, 10:17:22 am »
Good question. I guess I should have taken more FD photos. I'm trying to visualise it but my brain doesn't work first thing in the morning.

Offline sleek

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:16 am »
Good question. I guess I should have taken more FD photos. I'm trying to visualise it but my brain doesn't work first thing in the morning.

That's one benefit to reflexing a deflexed bow, is the string angle increase  especially at brace.

Offline Badger

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2019, 01:18:20 pm »
DC if you have anywhere you can shoot is there any chance you could take a couple of those bows out and shoot them with nine-grain and 10 grain arrows just to see how far they go?

Offline DC

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:27 pm »
I wish ;D We have only managed one flight shoot a year. In the dead of winter. Any open land is probably dairy or hay. I'm looking though.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 02:41:41 pm »
I think with the D/R design  you have a lot of advantages a couple being able to make a much shorter bow less mass for longer draw less stacking ,superior early draw weight and superior string angle thru out the arc even minor changes in string angle can make big changes in performance but one thing I have noticed is the more exstream the D/R becomes the less user friendly the bow can become ,the best shooters for me are the more mild D/R all though not as fast but more accurate & stable and the more taper in the limbs the more angular the brace & draw profile becomes that takes away from performance , I think there is a happy medium for any given material used just finding it is the trick ! 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 03:09:15 pm »
Good point you bring up stick Bender one of the ways you can counter that instability is by reducing the amount of working limb. But then you have the issue of the bow taking too much set. I built a boat several years ago gray extreme that address all these issues when I get back home I'll see if I can write about it and maybe post a picture