Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61331 times)

Offline Badger

Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2019, 05:20:51 pm »
 Instead of testing his bows I would much rather build two bows from a hickory board and see how they compare to one another. One using his treatment and one using the standard mark St Louis treatment. I said many years ago that marks heat treatment even though he freely admits he didn't invent it, he did however popularize it and somewhat perfect it. But His method has been one of the biggest advances in bow making during my generation of building. What I am hoping for is a slight improvement on that method.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2019, 07:12:55 am »
I remember that bow for Dano.   There was a shorter HHB of similar design that also reached similar speed.

The bow pictured was the bow for Dano, I never got around to testing that one for speed although it was quite similar so probably had similar speed.  The HHB bow wasn't shorter, it just had a shorter draw but yes it did reach into the 190's
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2019, 08:23:37 am »
Each stave undergoes my custom proprietary fire hardening which transforms the natural raw wood into a wood that is very dense, has greater compression strength, and permanently hydrophobic rendering it free from its normal moisture problems. This makes a powerful bow that can tolerate long string times and will perform with the best of the best, even out performing many fiberglass bows for flat shooting and great penetration.

That's from his website, and per the verbiage, he is very possessive of his custom Proprietary fire hardening technique.  Given what he wrote, and the low performance he is getting  I hope people can understand why this thread seems so hostile towards the guy.

Custom Proprietary fire hardening that he figured out after the art was LOST from his native ancestors, so he must know what he is talking about. If you dont believe him you are the problem.

Yeah, that will raise some eyebrows
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2019, 08:24:39 am »
I remember that bow for Dano.   There was a shorter HHB of similar design that also reached similar speed.

The bow pictured was the bow for Dano, I never got around to testing that one for speed although it was quite similar so probably had similar speed.  The HHB bow wasn't shorter, it just had a shorter draw but yes it did reach into the 190's

Thanks for posting that Marc. Did you keep any record on its width and frontal profile?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2019, 08:56:09 am »
White lightening shot over 190 fps... Marc knows what he's talking about.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2019, 09:07:16 am »
Thanks Bob. What's the width, length, and draw weight on that one? It looks like a simple pyramid with this recurved levers on it?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2019, 09:14:30 am »
Marc can fill you in...it was likely one of his first heat treated bows...these might help too...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2019, 12:02:18 pm »
Actually Bob that was the first one I sent to you and it was made out of Elm.  It was 61" N to N with 1 7/8" wide limbs.  I never really got a good reading with my chrono with that bow.

This is the White Lightning that hit mid 190's on a 27" draw

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2019, 12:21:22 pm »
thats a nice one,,, ;D

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2019, 01:16:55 pm »
Actually Bob that was the first one I sent to you and it was made out of Elm.  It was 61" N to N with 1 7/8" wide limbs.  I never really got a good reading with my chrono with that bow.

This is the White Lightning that hit mid 190's on a 27" draw

Marc...all I know is that my wife understands that I shoot instinctively, and that it means my brain kinda takes over during the shot...she says that I really need to stick to slower bows for my brain to keep up...?  I shoot my 165-175 fps bows best... she may be right...
 :-[

White Lightning is one to be proud of and is faster than any other wood bow I have ever seen or shot...   :OK

Offline willie

« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2019, 04:55:27 pm »
a little late to the discussion, but I did not see anyone offer Shannon so much as a welcome to the board.
maybe there is a bit of hyperbole in his own online postings, or maybe not.....so what?

What I did see here at PA was Shannon's willingness to sign up here and enter a discussion about his work without being overly defensive....

......and leave after not feeling to welcomed by the community as a whole.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »
I was going to welcome him but I realized that it might be taken in a wrong way (as sarcastic or snarky) so i didn't. I probably should have but i don't know. we cant go back. I wish I could. that comment might have changed the discussion with shannon but we cant know.  :-\
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline sleek

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2019, 06:33:02 pm »
He didnt join to become part of this group, he didnt come to be welcomed but to stir up crap and duke it out with anyone who dared disagree with him.  His every post showed that.

Offline PatM

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2019, 07:03:43 pm »
I think it's pretty clear he considered himself above the rabble on here or he might have signed up years ago.

Offline PatM

« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »
He didnt join to become part of this group, he didnt come to be welcomed but to stir up crap and duke it out with anyone who dared disagree with him.  His every post showed that.

That was more the other guy.