Author Topic: How to preserve squirrel tails?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Mesophilic

How to preserve squirrel tails?
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:16 pm »
Anyone ever preserve squirrel tails?  Or any critter tails for that matter?

Squirrel season is upon us and my daughter is making me save the tails.  Why? "It's for a craft, daddy."

She also made me save her some feet  :o

Just dry them out? 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: How to preserve squirrel tails?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:23 pm »
depends, you can salt them but never wash the salt off, it will kinda infuse into the hide it will then turn into rawhide if the project dosnt need them to be soft. worked for my deerhead and it hasnt started rotting. if they need to be soft, put commercial tanning solution on it and work it in.  dont get it on the hair and leave it be, then later work the tail untill soft but dont tear the tail in half. worked for a youtuber.  :OK
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:32:04 pm »
All I've ever done is dry them out. I wouldn't salt them. Unless you remove all the salt it will attract moisture and that can lead to rot. I've never tanned a squirrel tail but I never needed to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 06:49:57 am »
I do the same as Pat. Air dry is just fine. You can pull the tail bones/skeleton right out of the tail If you get after it while they are still warm. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:47:53 am »
As soon as you kill them you can reverse peel the hide from the meat and bone and then air dry them or do as Pat and Pearly do.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:50:09 am »
For any hides just fur on rawhide. You split the tail. For my fur bearers I have a tail stripper and splitter. The stripper is kinda like a nut cracker pliers. It has two different diameter holes. Skin down the tail a ways. Then clamp the appropriate sized hole around bone and pull tail off bone. Then I use tail splitter. Which works kinda like a letter opener to split th tail. Then pin it on a board to dry. Scrape any fat or meat off. You could put a little borax mule team on leather to keep bugs off.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:40:37 am »
The Mepps Spinner Folks buy tails. They tell You to split and remove the Bone and then salt. Kids have been doing this for Years. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:52 am »
They tell You to split and remove the Bone and then salt

actually they say not to remove bones:

Do NOT remove the bone from the tail. Deboned and split tails have no value.
Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.
Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry in a curled position cannot be used.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 11:08:14 am »
Really. I knew they used squirrel tail but I've never looked up their requirements.
I've never heard of anyone leaving bone in tail. Never tried it though. I have saved turkey legs by liberally rubbing borax into the cut off ends. Then I zip tie them to a form to dry them the shape I want the feet to be in.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 06:58:12 am »
Glis is right and you get paid by the quality and size of the tail. Brian, the way I skin the tail is ring it at the base with a knife then split a small branch 3/4 down and put it above the fir. Squeeze together and pull the squirrel up and the tail fur will come off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?