Author Topic: Temp Nocks  (Read 1978 times)

Offline DC

Temp Nocks
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »
Has anyone had any failures just CA gluing a wedge to the back of a bow for a temp nock? I'm a little concerned with just pulling on the glue line. Like this mock up only with a little better joint ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Temp Nocks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:49:45 pm »
I never use temp string grooves on any bow. I put over lays on as soon as the bow is off the floor.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
But that involves making a decision early in the process ;D ;D, I guess they're easy enough to change though. Do you use wide overlays and then narrow them along with the tips?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:27 pm »
Nope. I make them to size right away and just touch them up with a sanding block at the end. Any string alignment issues can easily be take care during tillering if you keep an eye out for it. I've never been one to use tip width to adjust tracking and I've always chosen a top and bottom limb right from the start and never sway from it. I have never ran into issues with either scenario I couldn't work through. Just have to think 3 steps ahead at all times. No surprises.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:02:58 pm »
'Three' steps? I've been having trouble with one ;D ;D Thanks for the response.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 02:04:19 pm »
Most of what I do is contrary to common building practices. Not sure why, just how my mind works I guess.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:37:16 pm »
No....
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:12:06 pm »
I prefer to leave the tips a little extra wide so I can cut in temp nocks.  Then I narrow them near the final tillering stages and add overlays (or not) and final cuts.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »
I use jute twine and CA glue. Heat gun releases it. I don’t use them much, but need to from time to time.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 12:31:05 am »
CA by itself will fail sometimes/most times.
I use a bit of B50 to whip mine on after gluing them with just a spot or two of glue. This way you can cut the B%00 off then easily pop off the temp. overlay.
I do this on just about every bow I make. I prefer to cut my nock grooves in when the tip is at finished size. I don't try to correct tip alignment this way I follow the grain always its just nice to have a fresh tip to work on when it comes time for the nocks.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 08:47:53 am »
I always glue on temp nocks with CA. I even boil them while recurving and I have never had one come off

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03:17 am »
I wouldn't trust those wedges just glued on. A sinew or thread wrap over the wedge maybe. I do as Stickhead does and leave the tips wide with side nocks just deep enough for the string. If everything is good I reduce the tips to final shape, add overlays and cut in the final string grooves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:21:51 am »
I compromised a bit and cut a notch out. This way the string isn't pulling right on the glue line but it's easy to get the string off for tillering close to the ends. I've had good luck with CA for tips. Never had one pop off. I have lost them through steaming or fuming though.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 02:01:14 pm »
I mostly do like Pearly and get the tips like I want them early. When I have done temporary nocks I used scraps of osage and just cut a groove over the top like I would on a nicer overlay, making sure to go perpendicular to the grain. I leave them hanging off the tip of the bow a bit and when i'm done with them I pop them off and save them for another time.

Offline kbear

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »
Good topic. I have been putting my overlays on as soon as floor tiller is done also. I've been wondering if it is the right thing to do. I've decided if Pearly and Weylin do it...... it can't be wrong!