Author Topic: Thinking about getting a glass bow  (Read 2408 times)

Offline sleek

Thinking about getting a glass bow
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
h  ttps://wichita.craigslist.org/spo/d/newton-bear-super-magnum-48-bow/6969976851.html

This is just my size, Does anyone have an opinion on this bow, and if the deal is a good one?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thinking about getting a glass bow
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 10:46:06 am »
I don't think I buy any used bow without having it in my hand to look over carefully...and I don't know enough about Bear bows to say if it's a good deal or not. Mullet knows a lot about Bear bows. Send him a PM.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:00:30 am »
Got to agree with Pat B.  I have a Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# that I like a lot.  Don't know who Newton is, though
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 01:16:03 pm »
h  ttps://wichita.craigslist.org/spo/d/newton-bear-super-magnum-48-bow/6969976851.html

This is just my size, Does anyone have an opinion on this bow, and if the deal is a good one?

This thread might change your mind.

h  ttps://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11565#/topics/11565

I own two fiberglass bows, both made by Omega Longbows.   There's something to be said for a bow that's made by a dude in his workshop rather than mass production.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 01:51:25 pm »
Sleek, you ok? Feaver? Amnesia! Youll get through this! Youll be ok!   ;D ;D

I agree with pat. I have bought alot of used things and almost half of them were horrible.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:24:28 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:18:51 pm »
I have owned a 60" PSE recurve and now I have a 68" PSE longbow.    My thoughts on FG bows,  wood is so much smoother, quieter and you can build them to your custom fit and they are easy to tune like the arrow shelf etc...   Other than that I would never buy anything site unseen.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:53 pm »
I own about as many recurves and longbows as anyone. Dad owned an archery shop back in the 50's and 60's so I have been around hundreds. Like Pat said, I also try not to buy a bow without it being in my hands first. The magnum is a short bow and some folks have trouble shooting shorter bows.  You can buy a new take down bow at many stores for just over $100 and after you get some experience with the bow you can buy new bow limbs which will give you a heavier draw weight.  There are lots of bows at yard sales and some times you just need to ask for archery equipment if you don't see any.  I bought two like that just in the last two weeks. Paid $20.00 for one and $50.00 for the other and both are very nice bows.

Also look for archery clubs in your area and walk in the door. Tell members what you are looking for and maybe a member will have a recurve he or she is not using and is willing to let you try it and maybe sell it to you.  Lots of options out there so take your time. The last thing you want to is get over bowed.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 06:07:42 pm »
I have to agree with John, and he knows more about them then I do. A Super Kodiak is a hard bow to get used to, especially with a heavy draw weight.  I liked the 48' Pierson better for shooting. less finger pinch. When you buy one without looking at it and holding you are taking a chance. The Super Kodiaks I've bought have been notorious for having limb twist because of improper stringing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:26 am »
Go to the Members section and search for soy.  Thad Soy in Minnesota makes nice effing-glass bows. He also makes nice primitive bows (I know what I am talking about, I shoot one of his cast-offs). 

He is a person of "mixed spirits and that walks in both worlds", so he can talk primitive archery along with traditional archery.  Tell him I sent you, that way you got a 50/50 chance that he will either cut his price in half or double it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 06:56:57 am »
I would suggest a Kodiak Mag, not a Super Mag. I have a 42# 1971 Mag that is nearly perfect, cool bow. The extra 4" of length is good. For that matter, if you draw 28" I would suggest nothing under 52". Sure they were designed to handle more and were torture tested. Im in the glass world as much as I am the wood world and I see a ton of old broken glass bows and questions as to why. Some basic principles cross over, its just that wood bows let us know much sooner when they dont care for their treatment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 04:31:47 pm »
Kodiak Hunters are pretty easy to come by and usually the cheapest. Not many collectors after them like the other models and they are a real good shooter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 01:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'd like to just go the rout of having one custom made for me. I sent Soy a PM but he hasn't replied, perhaps I am too specific in what I want. Which leads to the next question,  where is a good forum to learn to make a glass bow myself?
I'm still considering having someone make it for me, any suggestions for custom glass makers?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:57 pm »
There are a zillion glass bowyers around. If you want a new rock solid bow for a very fair price, check out stikbows dot com. Rich Emery.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 02:05:37 pm by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.