Author Topic: Red Oak  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Woodely

Red Oak
« on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:01 pm »
Does RO bend easily using dry heat.  The lams thickness would be about 5/32"  or so thick and 1 1/2" wide.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:53:50 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Woodely

Re: Red Oak
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 02:54:13 pm »
updated...anyone know that.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 03:20:56 pm »
I think steam works better

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 03:29:49 pm »
I hate red oak, it's a terrible bow wood. I wish you luck. What are you making?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 05:22:03 pm »
I hate red oak, it's a terrible bow wood. I wish you luck. What are you making?
A regular bow,  hundreds of RO bows built on here.   I wont make a habit of using it,  as a matter of fact this will be the first RO bow for me.  The limbs will be maple backed.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »
The oak bows I have made (one white oak, two red oak-both boards early in my learning process)  all took quite a bit of set.  It could have been me, but I think that is pretty normal with oak.  The backing should help a lot.  keep it wide anyway, and it will make a good bow. If you want curves in the tips, I would steam them in, set them with dry heat, and then back with the maple that has also been steamed to shape.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:14:10 pm »
I didn't have much luck bending it..

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 05:57:58 am »
I really dont like RO but it will work. Cant take alot of stress as a board though
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 01:04:35 pm »
Wow...… did not know RO was that bad,  Probably refrain from building one in that case.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 01:18:20 pm »
Just wait. There will be a few folks along who advocate it as bow wood. Then you will have two sides of the story to weigh out. My opinion? It makes great trim and cabinets.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:19:33 pm »
Wow...… did not know RO was that bad,  Probably refrain from building one in that case.

Build it if you got it. It's just a terrible bow wood. Recommended to newbies for ease of access and that's it. Personally,  I'd never recommend it. But, give it a try! You will learn something if you do.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 01:25:54 pm »
Just wait. There will be a few folks along who advocate it as bow wood. Then you will have two sides of the story to weigh out. My opinion? It makes great trim and cabinets.

+1
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DLH

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:10:16 pm »

Do you have high regards for white oak too?

Offline airkah

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 09:21:29 pm »
I prefer steam over dry heat for red oak. For me the dry heat didn't stay as well.

As for its worthiness as a bow wood: I made many red oak board bows before I ever tried another wood. I don't think it is the most forgiving wood, and it isn't a wood I would use if I was wanting to really push the boundaries with. I do think its an okay wood though. It isn't my first choice, but I've made a couple pretty good shooters out of it. I vote try it, and then you'll have your own opinion on it.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 12:51:41 am »
Same as Airkah- it certainly isn't 'the best' but you can make a good bow out of it. The trick is getting a super straight grained board so that you can make the back work hard enough.
If the back is left the same width as the belly then yes you will experience what most people do - a fair amount of set. If however you trap the back a good bow can be made from it. Just like a lot of woods described as sub-par - they tend to be very good in tension thus overpowering the belly.

I wouldn't choose it as a belly wood on a lam bow though. There are many better choices.