Author Topic: Curing form.  (Read 277 times)

Offline IrishJay

Curing form.
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »
I just wanted to share some pics of the curing form I just built. The idea was to make a form that I could leave the stave on as it cured without tieing up all of my clamps for 2 months. This is what I came up with. Open to any suggestions for improvements.   

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

Re: Curing form.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »
Good idea, lot of work.
Is Photobucket blurring the pictures now so you have to go to their site?
Vancouver Island
If you don't have any questions you must not be paying attention.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »
DC, they might be.

I replaced to plastic zip ties with steel wire, put some more heat to it and cranked some more deflex into the handle.

Measuring to the back I have just over 1 1/4" of deflex from the center of the handle to the midlimb (where the arrow is). The tips are 2 1/2" forward of the center of the handle.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:38:35 pm by IrishJay »
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:03:38 pm »
I use the same basic set up ,but I use clamps. I have enough.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:33 am »
Bass, do your staves hold their shape pretty well when you cure them on a form? I steamed this one to get it on the form and then used dry heat to tweak it a bit and further tighten the bindings.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:27:16 am »
I used couple of wraps of duct tape(put on inside out) to hold it on the form. Less fiddling.
Vancouver Island

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:41:51 am »
I cut green, reduce to a floor tiller, align on the form, clamp , let dry , heat treat before taking off the form.Then tiller, heat treat,tiller heat treat all the way to finish to keep set at a minimum with white woods. Yes , your stave will hold it's shape coming off the form, but for me if I don't heat treat the whole way to finish  through the tillering process I get excessive set. You may not have to use this process, but it is what works for me. Good luck.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:49 am »
Yes, but I still have to heat treat all through the tillering process, or I get excessive set.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:57 am »
Thats the reason I got rid of the plastic ties, with the steel wire I can heat it periodically while it's seasoning, and toast the belly just a few days before its ready to come off the form.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:41 pm »
Why are the pics blurry? I would like to see some clear ones if you have them.  Looks like a nice method your using here.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 01:31:57 pm »
I'll try to get some better pics with my SLR.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 02:34:01 pm »
Why are the pics blurry? I would like to see some clear ones if you have them.  Looks like a nice method your using here.
If you click on the pictures so you go to Photobucket they are nice and clear. Seems suspicious to me.
Vancouver Island