Author Topic: Made my first Warbow: 138 lb Maple @ 33" Flatbow  (Read 2488 times)

Offline bowman123

Made my first Warbow: 138 lb Maple @ 33" Flatbow
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:39:52 am »
Video of my 138 lb @33 maple bow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibtbmEIggA
 measured with a tension scale using the arrow as a reference

This is my first warbow ever made. I am a beginner in warbow making and would like to get any advice!

I've backed bows with sinew before for lighter pounds but sinew is so expensive

total cost was 50$ including the wood and backing and other stuff

I think good quality maple can make warbows if its overbuilt but I backed it to be safe
also I define a warbow as anything +100lbs, doesn't need to be English longbow's cross section because the word "war" doesn't explicitly need a specific culture

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:14:23 pm by bowman123 »

Offline bowman123

Re: Made my first Warbow: 138lb Maple backed with Bondo Fibreglass lol
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 11:52:49 am »
also I have some Elm do you think this would be better at making a 150lb+ warbow?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Made my first Warbow: 138 lb Maple @ 33" Flatbow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:07:33 pm »
Few things. First, we are not allowed to post bows with fiberglass on the limbs, its a forum rule. Good chance this gets moved or removed. Secondly, the "War bow" section is the place to ask your questions. That is were the experts hang out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowman123

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:12:07 pm »
can someone move this to the warbow section
also limbs are wood. all the force is from the wood. the Bondo fibreglass repair kit for automobiles merely provides a coating of protection on the limb similar to linseed oil or adds physical weight but I doubt it actually does anything structural since it is automotive bondo.
It is not like I actually laminated it with proper industrial methods
And believe me I tried to get sinew
hunters told me they are not allowed to sell animal body parts because they could get in trouble
Because of regulations its very hard to buy sinew now
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:34:28 pm by bowman123 »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 01:33:36 pm »
Thats what all backings do. We just deal with natural materials on here. Sinews not the only backing. Theres rawhide, bamboo, and other natural stuff. We dont discriminate against fiberglass, this just isnt the place.

Also, about the sinew, go to the trading post and ask for some, people will trade with you, no money though, you just need something that they want.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:38:25 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bowman123

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:33 pm »
where do you recommend me to ask advice on how to make or buy a 200lb bow @30"?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
Warbow section. They'll get you started on making one.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 05:39:57 pm »
I really enjoyed that video. I like your go out and do it attitude, even if its not totally primitive.

138lbs, dude you are SAF. 

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 06:21:03 pm »
Looks stout. Just let me warn you that elbow and shoulder injuriesheal slowly if they ever do.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:12 pm »
Congrats on your first bow. My advice is to get some experience tillering a few lighter weight bows as practice. You'll learn a lot that you can apply to your heavier bows and it will be safer. I watched your video and I can see your enthusiasm. I'm concerned that you're going to hurt yourself (perhaps permanently) trying to draw and shoot such a heavy bow. It takes a lot of training and conditioning to shoot 140# warbows safely and from the amount that you're straining it's clear that you need to work up to it. Trying to make a #200 bow is not a good idea, in my opinion. if a bow like that breaks it can really hurt you and even if it doesn't the chance of joint injury is too high if you're already struggling so much with a 140# bow. I know you're young and feel invincible but trust me, that doesn't last and you'll be very grateful that you took care of your joints when you were young. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 11:04:30 pm »
Got to agree with Weylin, trying to draw a bow that heavy is going to cause lots of damage to your body, maybe permanently!  I don't pull any bow over 50# due to an undiscovered shoulder injury from high school football.  On the other hand, I'm allergic to pain >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry