Author Topic: reducing smoke smell in brain tanned leather.  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: reducing smoke smell in brain tanned leather.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 05:12:41 pm »
Pat if they are smoked good it won't take a lot to get the soft again, just dry them a bit after washing and stretch them across your lap, pulling in all directions.That is what the smoke does, water prof to a certain extent where when they get wet they don't dry stiff, UN smoked ,they will dry stiff if they get wet but the creosote in the smoke gets between the fibers and keep them from binding back together. Some think you smoke for color but the main reason is to water prof.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 05:27:15 pm »
Thanks, Pappy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 08:38:46 am »
I smell your pain Pat..haha.. I just smoked 2 hides and whoa.... its strong... I wonder if those odor eliminating bags put in a garbage bag would help... I got them at the shop till daughter leaves ..haha.. I like it but seems she doesnt...

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 12:27:42 pm »
For softening:  I've wondered if you could tumble them for a few hours in a no-heat dryer with a few old shoes or a bunch of those wool dryer balls.  Would that work?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 01:23:44 am »
Can't resist!  Nah!  They come out smelling like old shoes!  Maybe throw in a fabric softener. Sheet or two might work.  I prefer the smoke smell myself! But I'm young and set in my ways >:D (lol)!  Neat thread, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 08:00:06 am »
personally I like the smell... 2 weeks in warehouse and they have lost the strong odor but smoke smell remains... I'm gonna just let them be.. got to smoke a few more soon... going to warehouse for a few weeks.. haha.... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 08:29:04 am »
I've kept the hides in the vented section of our attic since I posted this. I checked them the other day and the smell has decreased. I don't mind the smell per se but Marcia doesn't want it in the house. I'll give them a bit longer and see what happens.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC