Author Topic: What cuisine should I try next?  (Read 12699 times)

Offline TovinoThomas

What cuisine should I try next?
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:38:16 am »
I'm an adventurous cook, and like to try new dishes/techniques and challenge myself. I tend to jump around to different regions of the world/cuisines, to expand my ingredient base, and palette. Ive done a fair about of Thai, some Japanese, Indian, French and Italian cooking so far. Wondering what you consider to be the best types of cuisine and what I should try next. Ease of recipe isn't a problem, I like to do things as authentically as possible. (homemade pasta for Italian food, homemade dumplings, fermented kimchi ect)https://solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:30:39 pm by TovinoThomas »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: What cuisine should I try next?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:04 am »
Panang curry. My dad makes this dish and its one of my favorite. Put bean sprouts on top.

Faijuada He lived in Brasil for two years and another favorite of mine is faijuada

Now you got two!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:42 am »
Southern fried chicken, rice and milk gravy, collard green, fried okra and/or green tomatoes and cornbread or home made biscuits.
Fried fish, shrimp and/or oysters, hush puppies and cole slaw with a tall glass of sweet tea.
Slow cooked Boston butt(pork shoulder) with Johnny Harris BBQ sauce, cole slaw home made peach or butter milk ice cream.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:48:31 pm »
My wife recently made hot pot and steam buns (Chinese) you could try that.
Trevor

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:42:17 pm »
OK, if you're looking for something different, I'll appeal to my ancestry and urge you to look into Scottish food.  Everybody thinks of haggis (which is really just glorified meatloaf, and a lot less gross than a hot dog IMO), but there are some AMAZING soups, pies, deserts, and seafood dishes, including some that work great with venison.  My favorite soup is cullen skink:  Smoked haddock chowder.  Great stuff, if you can get past the name.

If you'd rather stick with more exotic locales, Nepalese momo dumplings and naan rank highly with me.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:44:13 pm »
Southern fried chicken, rice and milk gravy, collard green, fried okra and/or green tomatoes and cornbread or home made biscuits.
Fried fish, shrimp and/or oysters, hush puppies and cole slaw with a tall glass of sweet tea.
Slow cooked Boston butt(pork shoulder) with Johnny Harris BBQ sauce, cole slaw home made peach or butter milk ice cream.

Pat, I'll be right over!  ha ha ha  My sister-in-law is from Tennessee, and I have yet to leave her table hungry or disappointed.  Comatose, yes, but not hungry.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:51:40 pm »
 (lol) hahah!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 08:42:59 pm »
Since you jump in the deep end with no fears ,,,really look into German ,,or Swedish,,very interesting stuff ,,,I agree with Scottish too ,,,good luck show us what you did JeffW btw Itialian for me

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 04:02:43 am »
Some of my favourites

Flammkuchen (tarte flambee) from sourdough with sour cream and "Handkäse" (handcheese?)
with tiny pieces of celery, garlic, onion and paprika under the "Handkäse".
I call it Hessenpizza because hand cheese is a typical product from my wife's home country.
It is made from quark (curd cheese)  without calf rennet.

The Flammkuchen normally is made in wood fired ovens before baking bread, when the temperatur is still to high for the bread.
I bake it between 400° C and 350° C  (750°F - 650°F).

Offline spiceagent11

• https://vidmateapp.win
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 01:49:55 pm »
try indian, you'll forget everything..:)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 05:17:56 pm »
Might try a Mulligan stew with Colcannon patties on the side and Irish soda bread for dipping!  You can use sourdough in the soda bread, the stew works with lamb, beef, and/or venison.  There are several recipes for colcannon.  Btw, there is a Celtic music group out of Boulder, CO by the name, very good!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 10:17:00 am »
try indian, you'll forget everything..:)

X2 this will change you
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline chasonhayes

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 05:17:18 pm »
I am like you and am always on the look out for different things. i was reading the Gray Man series (awesome spy novels) and one of the characters in eastern Europe was eating podvarek so I had to look it up and try it. It is incredible. One of the house favorites is my version of General cho's chicken, seafood fra diavolo, and osso bucco easily made in the instant pot

I am also a fan of indian and it amazes me how few people are familiar with it. We love lamb rogan josh and banghan bharta

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 08:59:04 pm »
I have a few fusion dishes for you adventurous types to try out.

Italian steam buns.   Just like the Asian version, but fill with Italian meats,  vegies, and cheeses...think calzone fillings. We typically like spinach, provolone, pepperoni and salami.   Italian sausage, browned and crumbled is also great.  Serve hot with marinara and fresh grated parmesan on top.

Mexican egg rolls: this is so easy and a big hit every time I make them.  Fill egg roll wrappers with anything you'd put in a taco or burrito and deep fry...bean n cheese, taco meat, red chili, and green chili are some of our favorites.   Serve with fresh guacamole or salsa.

Greek inspired egg rolls:  fill egg roll wrappers with seasoned and browned ground lamb, veal, or beef as a last resort.  Add shredded napa cabbage and feta crumbles.   Deep fry and serve with fresh tzatziki sauce.  Pleanty of ways to play with this idea if you get creative.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-