Author Topic: Bamboo backed ERC 45# @ 27”  (Read 3613 times)

Online Mo_coon-catcher

Bamboo backed ERC 45# @ 27”
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:13:28 am »
Here’s a bamboo backed eastern red cedar I finally got around to getting done. It’s about 1 7/8” wide from fade to midlimb then tapers to 1/2” nocks. The limbs are 28” from fade to nock with 4” of handle and 2.5” for each fade. The bamboo was ground as thin as I could before glue up and was then trapped leaving a 3/4” wide strip of power fibers down the back. Set is just a little over an inch since I glued up in a flat profile. I got the bamboo from Kevin at this years mojam and the ERC was a board of perfect grained quartersawm board I got from Ed at mojam last year. I did a little tweak on the upper(right) limb on the tree somce I snapped the pic, to get a bit more bend in the mid limb to remove a little thump it had. I need to chrony it, since it’s a pretty quick little shooter. For its bulk it’s pretty low mass, I havnt weighed it yet, but the mass is about what you’d expect for a bow of this draw weight and length with a stiff handle, but just had a lot of width. I love the colors of this combo of materials and may go for another boo backed ERC in the future.

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

Online Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Bamboo backed ERC 45# @ 27”
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:11 am »
And some more pics

Kyle

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:42:39 am »
good for you Kyle!  I think you were wise using that profile rather than one with lots of stress.  It should make it a sweet shooting bow and reduce the chances of fretting the belly as well.  Looking forward to seeing/shooting that one or one like it at MoJam next July.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:22:59 am »
Nice work. I like it.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:59 am »
Looks good but I bring the bend back towards the handle a little more especially on the left limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:10 am »
I see that too pat.

Beautiful bow!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 12:03:19 pm »
Very nice!  I like the colors, and overall looks. :BB
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 01:47:06 pm »
Cool bow :) Interesting combo and bamboo use.
Your 'thump' is because the tiller is too circular. The width taper you describe should have a more elliptical tiller. 

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 10:23:41 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.

I can definitely see what you all are talking about. I was hoping for a tiller closer to the left limb with more of the bend a little further out on the limb, though I can see yhat flat spot about 6” out of the fade. But this was my first attempt at doing 99% of the work on the bow with a belt sander, and I ended up eating a bit more material just out of t. Fade on the right limb and spent my tillering trying to even that out, and ended up with a circular tiller on that limb. I may do some more tillering work.

Kyle

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 11:13:41 am »
 Nicely done! A bamboo/ERC longbow is on my shortlist of bows to build.  I think they can be a great combo for a very pleasant shooting longbow. 
-Taylor

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 06:52:31 am »
Nice looking bow Kyle.  I really like the looks of that combo.