Author Topic: Would you add more RD to this?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline IrishJay

Would you add more RD to this?
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:18:40 pm »
Black Cherry ELB I'm working on. 74" ttt, roughed out and created rounded ELB belly profile. I left a lot of meat on this one, hoping to keep it in the 65-70lb range @30-31". Question is about the profile. I'm not sure if it has enough RD to it to see any real benifit over a straight limbed bow. Tips about 1.5" positive right now.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Woodely

Re: Would you add more RD to this?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:40:36 pm »
Been black cherry I would not risk adding more RD.  Osage on the other hand I would say go for it.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 01:01:00 pm »
I will hit you square. Its what I do best. Cherry is miserable bow wood, a narrow/deep design is the worst cross-section possible for this wood, your bow is probably 4-8" too short for your draw. So, no I wouldn't change anything. Wear safety glasses the second you get any kind of string on it and every time you shoot it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »
Pearl is right. I say that from experience with it. Very short and high weight. Narrow to boot. Drop the weight to get it thinner to get it to hold. When BC goes its spectacular!  Hope I’m laughed at for being wrong here.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 01:41:50 pm »
If you are building an elb you should not have any Rd you should have one continuous curve I built a 55 lb black cherry old about 2 years ago I build mine strictly by Mass it was about1 1/4 inches wide 69 in Long in a little over an inch thick in the center I backed it with either Hickory or red oak I'm not sure.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:01:13 pm »
 I'm suprised everyone thinks 74" is short. How long would you guys recommend?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »
Backed it will work like Badger did, or sinew backed. As a self bow it is a dangerous wood. Your not wrong slimbob. I nearly lost an eye with a Wild Choke Cherry self bow. Cherry explodes, and I mean explodes when it lets go.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 03:23:37 pm »
Well in light of the suggestions here I'm just going to abandon this bow. If you look at my Sioux bows post I had a black cherry gullwing fail on me earlier today. So I think I'll just relocate all my black cherry to the wood burner.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 03:53:17 pm »
It CAN be good backed, if that is your flavor. If not? Id burn it in the fireplace or smoker. I always say beware the first live trees to topple in a wind storm.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:36 pm »
Well in light of the suggestions here I'm just going to abandon this bow. If you look at my Sioux bows post I had a black cherry gullwing fail on me earlier today. So I think I'll just relocate all my black cherry to the wood burner.

Toasting and then bending the next day is risky but it's  not a wood to stand on its own reliably.   

Rawhide or thin tension strong other wood backing is your best bet.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:41:04 pm »
Probably a question I should have asked sooner, but how long is the recommended wait time from toast to pull?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:12 pm »
It’s just really...brittle in my experience. And that’s before talking about the sap pockets. Others have posted a few self bows, so it can be done I figure, but I would choose almost any “bow wood” ahead of BC. That includes Red Oak, which is only marginal, but it’s not brittle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 03:44:28 am »
You have a rock maple short bow that you are making. That is good bow wood. Show us some pics. when that one is done. Good building.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 05:39:57 am »
No
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:57 am »
Bass,
The rock maple bow is floor tillered, planning on doing some sanding and toasting today.

How long should I wait after toasting to get it bending? 2 days? A week?