Author Topic: What would you make from this stave.  (Read 3804 times)

Offline IrishJay

What would you make from this stave.
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:01:05 am »
This stave was cut from the same piece of sassafras as the bow from my "1st shortbow" thread.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66799.0.html

Its 2 1/4" wide by 1 1/4" thick, over 8' long. I'm considering either a paddle bow or a mollegabet. With either choice I'd be looking to achieve a mid 40's draw weight at 31" draw. Either design would be linen or rawhide backed.

What would you do with it?

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline sleek

Re: What would you make from this stave.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 11:32:43 am »
Waaaaay to narrow for a paddle bow. however it will make a good American long bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
Whats a good width for a paddle bow?
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:52 pm »
I have never been a fan of sassafras. I do not consider it to be a useful bow wood.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:58:47 pm »
I would make it wide ,,, parallel,, then narrow tips,, 72 inches,,,74 inches
just a simple bow that shoots,,

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 01:07:47 pm »
76 inch long ELB. The length, and rounded belly can make up for the  weak back to get a bow out of it. I have't tried one yet, but guys that have, and were sucessful claim it makes a pretty snappy, and durable bow.  Even at that length I would still back it with linen. I made  backed shorter bows from it , but they ended up way sub par compared to some other woods.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 02:07:08 pm »
Brad we posted at the same time. I didn't get a chance to look at your post. Not trying to contradict your opinion. Just some things I have read about this wood.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 03:00:50 pm »
I thought your idea was great,, just different approach,, :)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 05:12:19 pm »
I’d make a ELB out of it too, but I’m on a ELB kick right now  (lol) got three in the works none of them moving very fast.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 05:39:08 pm »
I've done a few ELB's, I find that design works well for staves with uneven thickness from edge to edge of the limb or skinny staves that split out with a triangular cross section.

I'm not sure that its the best design for this wood though. Based on my torture test of a short bow (see link above), that I made from this same tree back strength isn't the issue as much as belly crush is.

Isn't wider and flatter typically better for woods that don't do well with compression? 

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 05:58:57 pm »
It is a balancing act for sure. Either the back can break, or the belly can crush. Since I haven't been able to get a good bow from Sass. or the soft Maples I will say no more. The advice I gave was just some thing that I had read some were. Good luck.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 06:08:22 pm »
Bass, I'm not criticizing anyones suggestions. I'm obiviously no expert and all ideas and input are welcome.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:08:27 pm »
I also considered something along the lines of a Meare Heath. Long and wide, although I probably add a conservative amount of reflex to the outer third or so of the limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 07:28:13 am »
I think the Thompsons liked sassafras and enjoyed making longbows from it. Check it out. I don't have access to my copy of the Witchery  of Archery  at the moment.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 05:56:01 pm »
My view is that sassafras is too weak to even make an arrow. I like it for small boxes, but wouldn't spend a minute trying to make  a bow from it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine