Author Topic: Using an iron (direct heat) to bend wood  (Read 1460 times)

Offline jeffp51

Using an iron (direct heat) to bend wood
« on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:15 pm »
I am thinking about applying direct heat with an electric iron as I bend in recurves. I am thinking I might be able to hold the tightest part of the curve and reduce some of the cracking. Has anyone tried this yet?

Offline IrishJay

Re: Using an iron (direct heat) to bend wood
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 02:19:30 pm »
I've never tried it for recurves, but before I got my heat gun I did try using an iron to make some general corrections to a stave. Even with it on the highest setting, and pumping out steam I struggled to get enough of the stave hot all at once. I was trying to get a lateral bend along most of a limb length though, and couldn't keep the whole length hot. With a tip flip you may have better luck because you're only heating 1 localized spot.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 06:39:32 pm »
Someone mentioned this a while back for heat treating so I tried it on a scrap. I don't think I could get enough heat into the bow to bend it(I didn't try to bend it) and it had a real tendency to scorch.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:41:03 am »
I read something about Native americans putting wet moss where they wanted to bend on the bow and then laying a hot rock on it and somehow the steam is forced in allowing it to bend.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:48:18 am »
I was actually thinking of it as supplementary heat in addition to a heat gun.  I should have mentioned that.  I was thinking of heating with the gun then applying the iron to maintain the heat and hold things down as I bend.  I should have been more clear. . .

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:48:31 am »
I do a modern-day version of the moss thing to make localized bends and corrections, especially if working with a wood that responds better to wet heat than dry. I wrap the area in a wet rag, then wrap that tightly with aluminum foil, then heat it with a butane brazing torch.  I call it the "poor mans steambox."
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »
I do the same thing but I leave the foil a little loose in the middle, tight on the ends. I also just use my heat gun to heat the steam and paper towel package.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »
I do the steam rag thing too, but I don't like that method for the curves on the ends.