Author Topic: Found a flintknapper!!!!  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Found a flintknapper!!!!
« on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:11 am »
Last saturday i met up with a flintknapper just 3 miles from me! i could ride my bike there! just talking about it makes me excited!!!!!! wish there was an emoji of someone jumping up and down ;D ;D ;D ;D ! I thought we were going to flintknap together but he sat down with me for 2 hours watching me, correcting me, letting me make mistakes, showing me how to set up a platform, and reminding me to abraide. I am a way better flintknapper now and now to me its like a chess match. think three steps ahead.

1st step, where your going to hit
2nd where it will go (hopefully wont break) and what it will take off
3rd will it create another oppoutunity to thin even more.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Found a flintknapper!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:09:19 am »
nothing better than first hand help  :OK

Offline Stoner

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 04:15:40 am »
I know the feeling about finding a knapper close to home. I had lived in my home fore a year when I just happened to stop and ask a question from a neighbor who was working in his garage. When I walked up I saw the euro mounts and then I saw the stone and tools. We started up a great friendship right away. Always sharing ideas and having each other look at the others work and giving suggestions. You need another set of eyes sometimes to see imperfections and suggest ways to work around the stone . It has helped me leaps and bounds to grow my skill. John

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:38 am »
Maybe you can show me Russell. Other than YouTube I have been self taught. I know I could do better with some help.

The only Flintknappers I know close by I've already showed everything I know.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 11:23:37 am »
I don't know if i'm going to be able to see you at the marshalls. Now that I'm in high school It will be hard to rearrange finals and my dad might need to take some students abroad for some studies. Ill probably be going to the Tennessee classic and maybe you can find some time to go too but i know your normally planting around that time. well see it ill be there!

Stoner, Yeah i found out about him through finding out about someones blog, then he recommended him to me. its definentially great to be able to sit down with someone.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:45:56 pm »
Deerhunter21, you can't go wrong going to the classic. I remember my first classic, I had only been knapping 2 yrs and there were only a few other knappers there but what was there was cream of the crop and I had them pretty much to myself, Jesse (leaping bear) helped me so much and then there was Saw Filer, and Will and to really put frosting on the cake was James Parker in the late evenings what a show of knapping skills, There were a few more really good knappers also, Sorry to many to mention all of them. These days the pit is full of every degree of knappers. Beginners to pros ya can't go wrong knapping at the classic. Hope to see ya there. Bob