Author Topic: First bow in the making  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Drawknife

First bow in the making
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:46 pm »
For the last 1.5 years I have been making my first bow out of an osage stave.  Worked on it a lot at first and stopped here and there due to issues I didnt know how to work out. About a week ago I decided I just needed to finish it no matter how it turned out and came to the realization (may sound stupid) that I was definitely not going to master this new craft on the first try (little bit of a perfectionist).  So on I have gone and finally got the bow to low brace. Really pumped and already looking forward to bow #2. I used a vendor to get this stave and asked him to pick me out an easy one to work for my first bow. Well I got sent a snaky bow with huge knot and checking that I eventually worked out. I went ahead and told the vendor (that guarantees satisfaction) that I was not happy and they basically told me that they have made good bows out of worse staves. Needless to say I'm proud of what I've done so far with a draw knife and rasp but wont be giving that vendor another dime. (Stave was 200 to my door)  I say all this to ask where do you all get your staves of osage? I'm working on finding some I can harvest but that hasn't panned out yet. Probably want to pick up a few staves next year.  Should be clear that this is my second attempt. First attempt was a piece of osage I bought on ebay that had paper thin rings so thin I could violate them scraping with a swiss army knife. Now I have watched lots of videos and read hunting the osage bow. So a bit better off.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:36:11 pm by Drawknife »
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

Re: First bow in the making
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:56 pm »
More pics.
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:33:20 pm »
Have a bit of a hinge in the upper limb but have plenty of weight to work with right now. Working on building a tillering tree and waiting on a friend that is sending me a gizmo. First bow is gonna be relatively simple. Straight osage flatbed nothing fancy. Will have some character though. Stave does seem to want to be a bow after all.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:36:46 pm by Drawknife »
Fred Bear

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 12:16:16 am »
Well, there is a first time for everything!  Good luck and be patient!  Post plenty of pictures and remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! :BB >:D (lol)!  I'm a bit of a newbie, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:50 am »
Mark the hinge area so you don't accidentally scrape it more. Bin there done that. If you pull it off that will be a nice looking bow :)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:40:00 am »
side view of the bow??
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 10:28:54 am »
  Looks nice so far, if you start having problems with tear outs using the draw knife you can flip it over and use the bevel side down. Gives you a little bit more fine control when you need it.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 11:28:54 am »
Mark the hinge area so you don't accidentally scrape it more. Bin there done that. If you pull it off that will be a nice looking bow :)

Yes sir. I have done that.
Fred Bear

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 01:33:39 pm »

Hey, thankyou, do you think you could get one at full draw at 90degree angle and one sideways at 90deg so we can see the bend? if your confused look at this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66807.0.html

he pulls it back with one side facing us and has one not drawn with one side facing us. it allows us to see hinges and stiff spots and the bend. Thanks!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 04:55:43 pm »
I would love to know who the vendor is, so I avoid buying from them. Can you share that info, even if by pm? No excuse for advertising a good stave and sending what you got.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 06:36:44 pm »

Hey, thankyou, do you think you could get one at full draw at 90degree angle and one sideways at 90deg so we can see the bend? if your confused look at this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66807.0.html

he pulls it back with one side facing us and has one not drawn with one side facing us. it allows us to see hinges and stiff spots and the bend. Thanks!

Will do. I havent gone far passed brace at the moment. Currently building my tillering tree. I'll get you a few pics soon.
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
I would love to know who the vendor is, so I avoid buying from them. Can you share that info, even if by pm? No excuse for advertising a good stave and sending what you got.

PM sent.
Fred Bear

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »
My best advice would be grab a hickory board and build a pyramid.that stave is challenging for a seasoned Bowyer.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:16:08 pm »
My best advice would be grab a hickory board and build a pyramid.that stave is challenging for a seasoned Bowyer.

Reason I went with osage is that i live in Louisiana and hickory doesnt do well in our hight moisture environment. It so I've read.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:21:00 pm by Drawknife »
Fred Bear