Author Topic: snake skins  (Read 12248 times)

kdub

snake skins
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:49:02 pm »
Well I skinned my first snake today.  Its a diamondback watersnake.  I Shot it in the nick when bowfishng.  I skinned it, salted it, and nailed it up.  Its pattern is dark, but it still looks pretty, it should make a good hat band.   Did I do it right, by salting it and pinning it up? sorry no pics yet. 
-kdub

Offline DanaM

Re: snake skins
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »
don't think ya need to salt it, scrape it clean and pin it to a board flesh side out, let dry.
I doubt if the salt hurt any thing either
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:43:10 pm »
Naw that salt wont hurt a thing...but if you just do a good job of Scraping them....and tack them down good....thats all you really need to do to a Snake
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 07:05:02 am »
Salt won't hurt it,but I have found over the years it ant nessary. I don't even tack them up anymore.I just lay them out flat and when they are almost dry put them under a flat board and let the finish drying,and that is all there is to it.O ya and keep them away from Sadie and Hanna,they think they tast good. ;) ;D

Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:28 pm »
Yep...I had my Basenji's using one as a Tuggy Toy one day....they thought it was better tasting than da Rawhide Chewwies!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

kdub

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:11:30 pm »
thanks yall. The skin came of really easy, I was just able to peel it back without very much cutting.  The only part that gave me difficulty was  when i reached the abdominal slit, man that stunk!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »
Yep, there are definitely things that smell better than snake guts.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:34:44 pm »
Be sure you remove all of the salt before you use the skin. It will attract and hold moisture which will eventually cause the skin to start deteriorate(stink). You should probably soak it in water then rinse and repeat a few times to be sure the salt is out.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:35:09 am »

Hey a Snake dont hold  a Candle to a Duck or a Turkey when it comes to Gut Stench....c/mon!!! :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:39:49 am »

Hey a Snake dont hold  a Candle to a Duck or a Turkey when it comes to Gut Stench....c/mon!!! :P
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Ya mean ya dont put that stuff in soup ? ;D......bob

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 06:26:03 am »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ya mean ya dont put that stuff in soup ? ;D......bob

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                           8)
2024...We Will Overcome

kdub

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:27:04 am »
 8) lol

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:51:56 am »
Waste not want not, right Bob.  You fellers ain't ever really been hungry or you wouldn't say eeewwww to anything.  I do recommend you rinse it out first though.  Maybe that is why there was plentiful game before the white man showed up on this continent.  The Indian ate what he killed and the white man ate what he wanted.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 02:22:30 pm »
Never tried the guts, but I've eaten snake-on-a-stick-over-the-fire.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:38:38 pm »
Yeah ,my 2yr old yellow lab scarfed down two dried rattlesnake skins in the blink of an eye. Walked away from the bench to get something and came back to put them on a bow and they were gone. She didn't have a bowel movement for days, serves her right.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956