Author Topic: Found some ipe locally today!  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Found some ipe locally today!
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:00:04 am »
I called around every hardwood dealer in this small town and found one mill that had a few ipe boards.  I went by there yesterday and sorted through 14-15 pieces.  They were all 4"x4" and most 16' long!  The longs ones probably weighed 100#!  There were three 8' long.  All the pieces but one had noticeable drying checks, or cracks throughout.  I choose one of the 8' with no visible cracks.  It wasn't as dark as some of the others, but pretty just the same.  Supposedly, the darkest stuff is the very best, but all is good.  They wouldn't cut it and sell me a 6' piece so I had them rip it down the center, so my little table saw could handle the rest.  It was $8.99/board foot.  Total was $92 (yikes)!  The lady told me that they needed to get rid of it, and let me have it for $50.  I went back to work and spent an hour trying to lay out how to cut it to get the most usable laminated bow wood.  I wanted some full size stuff for use with boo backing only, some smaller stuff for R/D, and some cut even smaller for tri-lams.  I found a couple of interior cracks that I had to cut around.  Here is what I wound up with;  three 1 1/4" wide X 3/4" deep for glue on handle straight profile bows, three 1" wide X 1/2" deep for multi-stacked handled R/D bows, four 1 1/4" wide X 3/8" deep for R/D tri-lam glue ups, and bunches of smaller 12" long pieces for handles, tip overlays, and knife scales.  I have a bunch of boo backings, and action-boo cores coming from rudderbows.com.  I have a bunch of projects planned, and am excited!

Rich I still plan to order some stuff from you in the future, but found it easier this time ordering bunches from one supplier.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Jesse

Re: Found some ipe locally today!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:06:54 am »
have fun :)   Looks like you have enough to be busy for a while. Hope you have a good dust mask. ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:33:56 pm »
Marty, Good work! you might want to put a piece in water just to see where it ends up..If it sinks fast you got a good deal, if it floats like a cork..well just make them a little longer ;)...I think you will be fine..

Usually if someone want to buy some wood from me, the first thing I do is try to help them find it locally, and I keep it as inexpensive as possible since its heavy and shipping isn't cheap.. Plus folks see what you and Jesse have done with the wood, and this helps with informing folks about the wood..

Rich

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
Thats a pretty enlightened local wood shop to have ipe around. Looks like a good haul.

Dave

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:59 pm »
Most have never heard of it.  I must have called all 20 or so lumber dealers/cabinent makers/deck builders in town.  This is a mill works shop that has been around forever.  I got lucky!
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"