Author Topic: osage and big check  (Read 2704 times)

Offline rps3

osage and big check
« on: December 02, 2019, 02:08:21 pm »
I abused this stave trying to get it straight. In hindsight, I would have been better off cutting it in half and flipping one end over and splicing. I steamed it 3 times and used dry heat at least 7 more sessions, it put up a fight. The checks opened up with the steaming and straightening.  68", low 50's draw weight at 29"

Offline rps3

Re: osage and big check
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:10:15 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:09 pm »
Dang Bobert! Talk about beating a stave up. Looks like a great tiller job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:38:51 pm »
Lol. That look like you got the splitting wedges out. Like pearl said nice tiller. Good looking bow To.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »
Just fill it with super glue and keep shooting it. Like the others said, nice tiller. :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 03:06:19 pm »
Looks like the crack goes all the way through. Put a piece of masking tape on the belly so the super glue won't run through and load up that back crack until it won't hold any more. I don't clamp super glued cracks.

If it were mine and I had some urac I would fill that crack full of urac and clamp it closed, urac would hold it. Any of the glues out there now, I don't know.

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 03:13:05 pm »
Thanks Chris, I started to feel like I was really picking on this piece of wood and it might just not want to be a bow.

Pat, and Eric...The cracks do go all the way through and are already filled with super glue, and like you said Eric, no clamping. Its a pretty long bow and I think it will be just fine. Maybe even next years hunter.

Bj, I thought he same thing about the splitting wedges.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Yep, its got a big check, but there's nothing wrong with that bow. In fact it looks pretty darn fine.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 05:52:33 pm »
man i would love to take that thing to one of my reenactment events just to drive the archery marshals up a wall  (lol)
good work  :OK

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 05:57:34 pm »
Don't waste your time or the superglue. Shoot it as is.  I have one with super wide and deep checks and I tried to fill them with the thick gap filling superglue. It all fractured and has fallen out. So long as the check does not run out the limb or is along the belly/back plane you are all good to go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:29:21 pm »
Nice unstrung profile  )P(

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:20:59 pm »
Very nice. I made a bow with wind  shakes a few years ago. Still have it. I superglued and clamped it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 12:02:54 am »
For sure, quite a crack!  It would definitely give an archery Marshall nightmares >:D!  Hope you don't wind up holding 2 bows someday!  Sounds like it should hold together, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:42 am »
Don't waste your time or the superglue. Shoot it as is.  I have one with super wide and deep checks and I tried to fill them with the thick gap filling superglue. It all fractured and has fallen out. So long as the check does not run out the limb or is along the belly/back plane you are all good to go!

Exactly a much better filler for wide checks is heated up epoxy mixed with sawdust.
It happened because the stave was not dry.