Author Topic: HHB short bow  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Malus

HHB short bow
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:15:04 pm »
This is my first bow, although I've been working on it on and off for more than a year now. It is HHB and about 54" ttt. I'm shooting for 45 lbs at 26" or so. My draw length is a little past 27", but I don't know if I should push it that far.
It's drawing 45 lbs at about 8.5" on the tree now, although the long string I'm using has stretched a bit and is probably 4" off the belly without pulling any weight, so really only 4.5" of string travel.

Just wanted to post some pics to see if I'm going in the right direction. I'm trying to tiller from the tips in and get the handle bending last, but it looks a little stiff in the outer thirds to me, especially on the lower limb.

The main question I have is, how many inches should I pull to on the tree with this string before making a short string and bracing? Or should I make another long string without as much slack first?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HHB short bow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 01:27:24 pm »
What you are trying to do is to get both limbs bending evenly and together and keeping that criteria throughout the tillering process. Whenever you think you can safely brace the bow and the above criteria is in play then go ahead and brace it.
 You can shorten the tillering string so it just reaches from tip to tip. If it stretches, shorten it again. When I'm tillering a bow I go to low brace when the tips have moved about 8". In most cases this will give me about a 2" to 3" low brace. If the bow it still too stiff for me to brace but the limbs are bending evenly and together I'll make the same number of full length scrapes on both limbs and try again until I'm successful at bracing the bow. But, before I go to low brace I want to be sure everything is even.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »
if you could pull it a bit further,,,, it would be easier to see how the limbs are bending,,
ok ,, when you are making short bows, let the bow determine the draw length,, if you want an exact draw then use wood that is suited for that draw,, I wouldnt push it on this first one,, try for 25 inches,, if you are success,, stretch it out on the next one,,
you will find with practice, that 25 inches is a nice shooting bow,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 08:43:43 pm »
I like how your going so far. I think your right with being a little stiff yet in the mid and outer limbs. I think you could continue like your planing. Keep drawing to your target weight till you get about 6 or 8" of tip movement. If it seems to hard to brace, don't push it. I like to get to short string as soon as I can, but bracing your bow can be a bit tricky till you get used to it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 07:07:06 am »
  I see the handle bending already, stay off the handle...Stay on the outers until you get them moving for now...Take it to your intended draw weight on the long string
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 07:31:21 am »
  I see the handle bending already, stay off the handle...Stay on the outers until you get them moving for now...Take it to your intended draw weight on the long string

Agree
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Malus

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 10:43:48 am »
Thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated! I'll update when I get back to work this weekend.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 01:19:21 pm »

Agree

I agree to. You might be surprised how thin your outers get by the end. I like to get them working first and move inward from there. You have to remember to keep coming back to them as you go though. If you don't when you get the inner working the outers will be stiff again.

Bjrogg
PS Welcome to PA
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise