Author Topic: Wide thin limbs  (Read 2140 times)

Offline DC

Wide thin limbs
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:57:00 pm »
Correct me where I go wrong. In Adam K's horn bow book he brings up a few design features that(to me) sound like they could apply to all bows if we work around woods limitations. One is that short limbs have a faster return time because short limbs vibrate faster. Another is that a long draw length trumps a short one. If we want to use these ideas we would want to pull a short bow way back but this would cause(probably) a lot of set. If we make the limbs wider and thinner they should take the strain without taking excessive set. But will the advantages of short thin limbs offset the increase in mass? How about a pyramid with wide thin inner half(where the mass doesn't hurt as much) and thicker narrower outer half?

Offline PatM

Re: Wide thin limbs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:42:20 pm »
This has already been explored pretty well.  "Thicker is quicker", even if not for as long.  Wider is a bit slower but longer lasting.

Most folks make them in the middle area and draw them to an optimal length.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 02:31:22 am »
Your last sentence more or less describes a mollagabet/holmguaard bow. Interesting how the 'old uns' had already figured all this out. And yes you are right they are just about the fastest and most sweet shooting straight stave wooden bow designs going.

Offline lonbow

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 05:33:23 am »
In general, very short bows donīt save a lot of energy. Ottoman bows are very much reflexed to compensate for that.
Unfortunatelly, selfbows canīt be made with much reflex, so they wonīt be very efficient if they are too short.

Iīm speaking about using arrows with 8-10 ggp. A short bow might be more efficient for very light arrows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:58:27 am »
There is always a trade off somewhere -C-

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04:40 am »
I agree Brad about trade off. The pyramids I have been building are wide as the stave will allow. Yes more mass on the inner limb but if it reduces set there it’s been a win win for Arvin.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 07:21:28 am »
Another thing I like about wide bows is you can use not so great bow woods and make fine shooting bows without taking crazy amount of set. Most of these woods are really light so that compensates for the higher mass of a wide design.

This is an example made from soft maple (Acer pseudoplatanus)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 10:05:54 am »
My favorite hunting bow,,,is wide thin.

I wanted it shorter so I made it Ishi inspired...it shoots very nice,,it's about 54 inches

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 12:01:11 pm »
Brad,
How wide did you make and what wood?  I want to make a 54" bow for the Little Fiddle Woman, about 35-40#.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »
 osage....1 3/4 wide,,,,,slightly bend in handle,,1 1/4 wide ,, think it could have been more narrow, but shoots fine,,Im pretty sure I tested it out to 27 inches,,I ended up shooting it at about 25...no heat treating on this on this one,, as advised my Marc St Louis..