Author Topic: New to primitive bows. Advice regarding staves  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Gregoryv

New to primitive bows. Advice regarding staves
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:59:51 pm »
Ok first hello everyone!  My name is Greg and I am very excited to be able to have this resource to possibly communicate and maybe even befriend someone who has my same interests.  Ok first.  I am from northwest Indiana and am 36 years old.  Everyone I know thinks I am weird for spending my off time driving around looking for green balls on the forest floors lol.  In doing so I have found three places where Osage grows and have permission to cut at two.  My problem is that these trees are young I think and are somewhat twisted and split really wonky.  I think once I season them I should be ok.  Is it possible for me to get a chalk-line straight piece of Osage?  Or is what I am seeing somewhat normal?  Also I was going to cut some locust I found Sunday, if I can get landowner permission.  I would like to get some hickory seasoning too.  I have been flint Knapp if for five years and just started getting into traditional now making.  But I want to make a bow of every kind from every wood!  It is all I think about!  I find myself daydreaming about splitting Osage while at work!!  I LOVE it!
     Anyways, to the point.  I was wondering if there was anyone in my area that would like to go out And hunt bow staves with me?  It’s lonely and hard yourself, and since my first run my wife won’t dare go with me.  (She hated it). I am in northwest Indiana Starke county area.  Well everyone have an amazing weekend and thank you for any of your replies

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: New to primitive bows. Advice regarding staves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:05 pm »
I wish I was closer because I love stave hunting.  However I am a long ways from you in SE Minnesota.  Welcome to the site and good luck with harvesting staves.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:08:19 pm »
If u post pics,,,we can help with what will work.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:55:49 pm »
Learn to identify Osage without relying on the fruit. Seems counterintuitive but the trees with balls are female the males don’t produce the hedge apples. I would find the straightest wood without character. Don’t cut too much start with something in the 8-12inch diameter range at the biggest you will know how much wood you can process after doing that. I would also try to find a stave from someone that’s already dry so you can get after it while your wood dries. I like white Elmer’s glue for sealing the ends and the backs of Osage or locust then switch to shellac when I start chasing a ring. The white woods I go straight with shellac only reason is it can be removed with alcohol easily Elmer’s glue not so much. Unfortunately the wife situation doesn’t get better mine would love to host a bond fire with my staves.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:57 am »
Hi Greg. I grew up in Northwest Indiana, though do not live there anymore. I imagine people there are even more alienated from natural systems than they were when I lived there 15+ years ago. I hope you find a partner in crime!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:32:21 am »
Can't help much with the stave hunt, like Swampman, I'm a bit out of the area, but welcome aboard, these folks have a tremendous wealth of knowledge!  Haven't seen any Osage out here that I recollect!
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
Ok I tried to post pics of the staves that I have.  They are ok but by no means have split straight.  One of them is straight like 50 inches then turns slightly and bends down.  One that has exceptional rings has two bends and a slight twist on one end.  Are these usable?  Should I keep looking and cutting?  I have two pipe straight staves that are very clean but these have very small growth rings.  I want to know if I can use what I have or if I should keep looking.  I wish I could post pics with my iphone

Offline Gregoryv

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 07:37:14 pm »
Depending on early wood late wood ratio, that looks like a great piece of osage. Good luck.

Offline Gregoryv

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 07:55:05 pm »
So when it seasons just chase a ring, lay the bow out on the grain, and once to rough dimensions dry heat bend it in alignment?  And take out any reflex, Deflex, and prop twist it has at that point?  This will be my first bow so I want the tillering to be as straight forward as possible.  is there any easy way to take out bends and prop twist with in one go with maybe some sort of form?  Or just do it in steps?  Sorry I am just new to this.  If I let something wait two years to season and then find out I can’t use it I would be very disappointed lol.  I keep seeing some people have found pipe straight Osage for staves and they must be growing it themselves because all the Osage I can find looks like big bushes.  Nothing straight about any of it! And when I find a straight limb it splits wonky!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 08:01:19 am »
My site has info.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 09:23:52 am »
I would do just as you mentioned. Doesnt look like too daunting of a task with that stave. I have several different forms I use depending on my desired profile.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:49 am »
work it to a growth ring,,, coat back every time you finishs working,,
rough out to shape of bow,, coat the back and handle and fades,,,
get it to floor tiller,,
coat back and handle and fades,,,
it will dry out pretty quick,, you can have a bow in a few months,,
not saying thats as good as a seasoned stave,, but it will make a nice bow and shoot great,,

pipe straight osage is not needed to make a great bow,,

its not so much how the bow looks,,, but how it shoots,,,,
there are guys on here that could make that stave pipe straight,, with heat,, and forms,,
but  :) :) there is no need to ,,, unless thats what you want to do,,
just get it to line up with the string on it,, shoot and have fun,,,

once you get it roughed out,, corrrections will be more clear,,and not overwhelming,,

ok,, I have not worked with green wood in a while,,
but I think if you made the bow in a couple of months,, after its good and dry,, you could heat treat and I bet it would shoot as good as a seasoned stave bow,,,performance wise,,
I wouldnt heat treat green,, I think it might check too much,,
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:41:13 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 11:54:41 am »
 I like pipe straight Osage send me all you have! Good info above. These guys have been doing it for years! Welcome by the way.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:01:57 pm »
I’ve had a few Osage bows that seasoned as a bow...and picked up draw weight.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.