Author Topic: Trying to make a horn bow...it broke!  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Trying to make a horn bow...it broke!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »
The first course of sinew was 44 grams, at 22 grams per limb.   I put on a second course, I can't remember the exact amount, guessing it about 15 grams per side.  Works out to about 2.5 oz.

Before the sinew and the induced reflex, with the horn glued to the core, I worked the limbs a little bit and it felt like a kid's bow.  After the sinew dried, working the limbs, it felt alot stiffer than my 60# hickory longbow.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:19:57 am »
Thank you. 2,5oz was the advice I was given for a bow like that also. sorry for your loss! keep on struggeling!
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 02:08:03 am »
Yes you are right it does look thin.
You should aim for 100 gram total.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 06:58:54 pm »
Yes you are right it does look thin.
You should aim for 100 gram total.

Do you apply 100 grams in one course?  Or break it up in to two or more courses?

With that much sinew, how thin does the horn lam end up being?  The bow I broke was well over my target 50# draw as it was, I'm thinking the additional sinew would've push it well up in to war bow strength.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Markus

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 05:37:52 am »
Bjorn is selling hide glue in different strenghts and it will be hard to find anyone who knows more about it.
https://bjornhideglue.com/

bownarra

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 02:05:03 am »
Why does he soak the hides for 60 - 90 days I wonder?
It really is very simple to make it yourself.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 10:48:48 am »
Why does he soak the hides for 60 - 90 days I wonder?
It really is very simple to make it yourself.

Just guessing here but maybe it has to do with the quality of the hide?  I'd imagine all the excellent hides go to a tannery and are worth more money.  Or the hides havent been fleshed all that well to begin with.  The extended soak in lime may loosen things up so it doesn't take as much work to turn them in to glue.  Hair, meat, and fat just sloughing right off?

I imagine a glue-er has to pinch every penny to stay lucrative in todays world of intant gratification.
-Homer Simpson-

bownarra

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 01:30:55 am »
No nothing to do with the quality of the hide - they are all the same from a glue making point of view. It is to do with yield. They will make a giant soup and then strain off the hair etc.
Todays world is just the same as it ever was they just have us believing that there is such a thing as 'instant gratification' and that things have changed! But no if you look everything important is still the same haha...…...just like hide glue!