Author Topic: Wonky osage bow  (Read 5813 times)

Offline dreamcraft_archery

Wonky osage bow
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:04:00 am »
Osage Orangebow finished! Design is between paddle bow and recurve. Drawing around 45lbs at 28". Tips and arrow plate made from purple heart and zebrawood.
During tillering process I noticed problem with the string that was slipping of the limb causing the bow unstrung. I made several heated corrections but it still wasn't good. So I shaped from zebrawood and glued "string holders" to keep it on its way. Now working well and shoots sweet!
In spite of its imperfections I love this bow and its unique character.
All the best!

Re: Wonky osage bow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 06:04:31 am »
More pictures.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:17:19 am »
That is quite and accomplishment. I would suggest cutting you nock grooves across the back much deeper. This should help with keeping your string on. I would cut them almost to the darker wood.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:40:20 am »
Thats a tuff stave to work and you did a great job of gettin a bow out of it....
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:47:58 am »
Cool looking bow. A lot of character and you managed to get a bow out of it. Congrats.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:12:38 am »
Most definitely a character bow!  Nice job!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 12:56:25 pm »
I would have never guessed that your full draw picture could come from a bow that was that challenging. I'm stunned. That stave must have gone every which way but loose. 

I could have used that string holder idea on a bow I made years ago. Couldn't keep the string on, that trick could have saved that bow.

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 02:56:13 pm »
Very cool bow, you did a great job. My only concern would be how easily I could, and would,  break a string guide, rendering the bow useless. maybe something a bit flexible when bumped, or more bomb proof and wont break.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:27:23 am »
Thank you guys for your kind words. I really appreciate it!
I've spent countless hours on this bow and I've learnt so much. I'm sure it will help me facing challenges coming with future projects.

Gifford I'm glad you like it! These holders aren't something great and I wasn't very happy to apply them but as you noticed they can save a bow. Sad to hear that problem ruined your bow.

Rps3 yes it may happen. Zebrano is pretty hard but there is possibility that holders accidentaly break. I've also thought about using horn to make those guides but wasn't convinced about that. Do you have any idea what could be used to make such holders?

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 08:01:17 am »
I'm always thinking about hunting when I have a bow in my hand, and when lifting and lowering that from a stand, breaking those wings would always be on my mind. If just using for target, well then no big deal. What about leather with a bit of cyanoacrylate soaked in? I like the idea of horn too.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:09 pm »
Maybe making the "wings" only as long as they need to be, which I suppose would be a wild guess to get right.  You wouldn't know just how high they need to be until they didn't work anymore!  Some sort of cover or shield for protection if you are raising it inti a tree stand, maybe?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 03:37:37 pm »
Rps3 I get it, you are right. I'm using it only to shoot target but I'd like to make my bows efficient at every circumstances. Didn't think about this solution but sounds good!
Hawkdancer I made "wings" at lower snaky limb as long as they needed to be to get final drawlength. As you can see at right tiller pic the string is held by the guide. It took some time by the way to get it right. Some kind of protection would be usefull anyway in case of overdrawing... 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I should think about making some improvements.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 04:34:14 pm »
Nice job. That certainly is a wonky one. Pretty bend
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 04:55:54 pm »
congrats on your beautiful bow,, :)

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 12:52:32 am »
Wow, I'm impressed you got a bow out of that wonky stave.
Making some character bows will definitely raise your skills, even when they break or especially when they break you learn a lot.
You did a good job, really like it!