Author Topic: Latest project from Gun Doc's bench  (Read 2916 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Latest project from Gun Doc's bench
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
  Excellent work Josh...Looks like the gun doctor came to town on tha one!
                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 02:02:55 am »
Nice work Josh! I should send you the wood and my old pre 64 Winchester. I've had that project on the back burner for quite a while myself.
P. S.
I've shot many of those guns and that but stock being almost straight back kinda sucks! I've you ever shot one you know what it feels like to go have your thumb break your nose!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 09:31:19 am »
Thanks fellas!  If I ever get caught up, I'd be happy to make you a stock.  I just don't see that happening in the near future.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 02:42:04 pm »
Patrick,
How old is your '94?  Mine is apparently from the mid to late 1940's.  I would say keep the old wood if it isn't a total wreck, the more original it is, the better it holds value, and they are getting very expensive.  They used very high quality walnut back then.  If you do put new wood on it, keep the old to reconvert it.  Hope to see you at MoJam!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline M2A

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 07:47:56 am »
Very nice upgrade. Looks great!
Mike

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 03:49:07 pm »
Thanks doc! It's a project I've got on my back burner as well.

Hawk, I plan on keeping the original wood but it's pretty rough and before I had it someone tried to install the wrong sling mounts and done a bad job to. Mine is a 49. The walnut I have for it I cut off my grandpa's place. It's a crotch section of the tree. The guy at a hardwoods shop said it's high quality enough to sell to Henry arms. He should know, he sells thim walnut for their guns.
Dang it, now I want to throw that project into the works!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!