Author Topic: Truck tents  (Read 4076 times)

Offline DLH

Truck tents
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:21:25 pm »
Any one use truck tents? I’m considering one but don’t know if there are any advantages over a regular tent on the ground? My son is 5 I thought it might make it easier with him along. I see most people use  air mattresses too for these. I’ve not slept on an air mattress that I like better than the ground yet seem to make me sore the next day. I thought I would ask around before May and I might get to test it out in March if it’s not too cold for my son at night. Thanks

Daniel

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Truck tents
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:19:16 am »
I've never had a truck tent, but I have a topper on my pickup.  Throw in a couple air- or memory foam-mattresses, and it sleeps two pretty comfortably.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:21:55 am »
Makes it harder to backpack.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:27:05 am »
Five year old's can sleep anywhere, on anything, in any position.  Do what you need to keep yourself comfortable and he will be too. Regardless, he will think its neat and have fun.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:17:19 am »
You are right he can sleep anywhere as long as he don’t get cold. I thought about a camper top too. I’ve got another little one who might want to tag along.I  want to feel this out before back packing we went on a hike this week and his little legs were tired pretty quick. I became his pack mule on the last leg out. :)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 10:22:55 am »
This has probably changed over the years but when I was a kid sleeping on an air mattress was the same as sleeping on the ground. They were always flat in the morning :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:24:15 am »
I agree with BC. With temp changes over the night the air pressure decreases and the air mattress gets soft. Also without good insulation between you and the air mattress it can get pretty cold. I stopped using them years ago and went to a cot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 12:24:04 pm »
I lived under a camper topper for months. It's hard as hell to get dressed under those things, and sitting up isnt easy with an air mattress. I reccomend a canvas camping cot like a chase lounge. They are easier to deal with. Get a sleeping bag to stay warm, or a propane lantern. Those things can really put out some heat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »
Makes it harder to backpack.  ;D

Well, it depends how tough your kid is...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 03:53:51 pm »
Like couple guys have mentioned, cold temps and air mattress is challenging combo. Without plenty insulation between you and mattress, it can be like sleeping on block of ice. I use 'em on my cot ... with layer or 2 of foam between me and air mattress.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 06:32:27 pm »
I use 'em on my cot ... with layer or 2 of foam between me and air mattress.
Cot, air mattress and foam! You like to be comfy, don't you? ;D ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 05:53:04 am »
I use 'em on my cot ... with layer or 2 of foam between and air mattress.

Well he certainly isn’t a five year old.  ;)  :o  I’m not going to talk to much trash. If my wife is going we’re taking the tin tee pee.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 09:35:18 am »
I use 'em on my cot ... with layer or 2 of foam between me and air mattress.

Yep, good night's sleep makes morning camp coffee sooo much tastier.   8)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:37 am »
Daniel, I think your best bet is a large tent and cots. You can get in and out without waking the boys, its easier to get dressed, and you will have room to store items. I think the Cabelas Outback is one of the best tents going. Its affordable and very easy to set up. I sold my 10x10 to Mr Pat B. I have since bought an 8x8 because the price was very right. I still haven't taken it out of the box 2 years later :) I just couldn't let the deal slide by as much as I didn't need it.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 12:04:19 pm »
I think I’d have to agree Pearl. I always have so much stuff in my truck to haul with me that there wouldn’t be any room for sleeping.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise