Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 76927 times)

Offline hoosierf

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2020, 05:36:45 am »
Nice bows Matt. Nekid looks good on that one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2020, 10:01:26 am »
Man, I need to get back to work on mine. Soon as I get my barn wired up for electricity, and my kitchen floor torn out and redone.... Eesh, I need a day off to make bows.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2020, 03:29:25 pm »
Those are very nice bows. If its coming to me I like wide and fast lol

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2020, 05:27:29 pm »
Beautiful bows Matt 👍🏻  The reflexed one is especially nice!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »
I'm still in guys. Been coaching my sons little league team this year. I will get back on mine soon and post some pics. I've got some osage and hhb shaped out to bow dimensions. just need to get them bending.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline M2A

« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2020, 07:11:08 pm »
Was not happy with a piece of locust I was working on decided to see what else I had in the shop that would be good for this. Buried in the corner was a piece of Osage, I dont work with the stuff too much, always has been too hard to come by so I always think it best to save for another day(as a few years pass by). Having some good fortune this past winter in my stave hunting I figure its the perfect time and reason.

I didn't care for the late/early wood ratio right under the sapwood and the piece was rather deep so I split that off and may have enough for one for myself. I still needed to go down several rings on the belly split to get the ring I thought was best. No knots in this piece, a bit more character than I thought it would have. With removing as much as I did I am a little thin for a handle so will be adding some meat to it. Rummaging in my shop last night I found some interesting ebony and some purple hart, hope to finish off the handle and use for overlays. Hope to remove a little more from the limbs and be able to even up the reflex soon. There is a check in the middle of the belly of 1 limb still but I believe it will disappear during tillering.
 IMG_3560 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3559 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3591 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3592 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3593 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr   

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2020, 06:33:02 am »
I can't wait to see how that one turns out Mike.

My plan B black locust is officially abandoned.  I did not start with a good thickness taper and chased good tiller down to a 35 pound bow.  I will finish off later for my wife as I think it will suit her well. 

I started on plan C and D this week.  Plan C is another hhb stave and I am in the process of roughing it out.  Plan D is a black locust stave that I plan to leave the sap wood on.  I built another bow from this same tree with the sap wood on and it turned out great and has really nice contrast between the sap wood and heart wood.  This one is also in rough out stage. 

I do have plan A (hhb) shot in and it has settled in right at 50 pounds which was my target weight for that bow.  The unstrung profile goes back to no net set right after shooting so I am pleased with that one and it is definitely a contender to ship to my victim. 

I will post up some pictures of plan C and D soon. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2020, 09:14:23 am »
oh my goodness! I finally have time to work on my bows!! schools out!!!

I was working on my hhb bow but i think i messed it up. violated a growth ring while trying to put a tip overlay. and i dont think i did the tip right but just keep on chugging. then ill start working on the osage bow ive been trying to work on.  ;D

its been a while since ive been able to get on here
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:09 am »
how bad is the grain violation? if its at the tip you can just make a long tip overlay and take it out/cover it up

Offline liyeliye123123

« Reply #279 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:20 pm »
glued up some boobacked blanks. thinking about choosing one from one of these to be my trade bow project.

b86256172abb6ae730d070e9703b2ab by Ye  Li, on Flickr

aa79eb7d5f97a476918d794973947e8 by Ye  Li, on Flickr

4c885a1b5d51b4fa1f8c148bfb13be2 by Ye  Li, on Flickr

Wildpeace Archery.

Offline sleek

« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:52 pm »
Very excited to see what you make Li.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2020, 09:33:00 am »
I’m looking forward to seeing what you get made as well Li.

I decided to start in a second bow so I’ll have a couple to pick from. Especially considering the first hickory bow came in a little under weight. So here’s a black locust recurve I got shooting yesterday at the upper end of weight specs. Nothing incredible, but it does seem to shoot pretty decent. I glued on some cow horn for brushnocks to go with t he overlays. If I have some time this evening I may start on getting the brush nocks shaped and the tips cleaned up. Once they’re cleaned up I’ll be doing lots of shooting fun and tiller tweaking. The limbs were flat with the back fo an indicator of set at this point.

Kyle

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2020, 12:59:36 pm »
Very excited to see what you make Li.

Same

Mo_coon-catcher it will be cool to see you pull off those brush nocks I’ve always liked how they look.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2020, 10:18:54 pm »
I'm still here ya'll, air-conditioning season is here! I've been working 60 plus hours a week and I hurt my back a few weeks ago, mostly better but I still gotta watch what I do. But I woke up a week ago and my right shoulder was killing me. Not sure what's going on with it but I'm still going. I can work but I haven't tried shooting yet. But I hope I can get some bow work in this weekend.
Everyone's stuff is looking good!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2020, 07:38:19 am »
I'm still here ya'll, air-conditioning season is here! I've been working 60 plus hours a week and I hurt my back a few weeks ago, mostly better but I still gotta watch what I do. But I woke up a week ago and my right shoulder was killing me. Not sure what's going on with it but I'm still going. I can work but I haven't tried shooting yet. But I hope I can get some bow work in this weekend.
Everyone's stuff is looking good!

Patrick

Brother, you are getting old.