Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 78651 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2020, 06:15:55 pm »
You need to stop breaking yourself Pat. Can’t be having you not shooting.

I’m slowely making progress on the recurve. Here’s where I’m at so far. I’m liking the looks of the horn and it’s not even polished out yet.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2020, 10:33:01 pm »
Everyone keeps telling me I'm getting old.

Kyle, I shot my bow today, just a few times, shoulder didn't bother me while I was shooting. But it's still sore.
Truck problems and having to work today has overtaken my weekend.
Hopefully they will let us have mojam this year and I will get my trade bow shooting there.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline M2A

« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2020, 06:59:00 pm »
Kyle, that bl recurve looks mighty nice.

Ran into some issues with the piece of osage. The check that I thought I could tiller out opened up pretty good when reflexing the the limb, and some other checks appeared in the same area. Would have never thought it would have too much moisture to do so, but it ain't going to be the last time I was wrong. Just going to set it aside and will get back to it in a few weeks to see what i can do with it.

That being the case I grabbed a short piece of locust and got to work. I got carried away and things came together pretty fast so far. Now this one is a bit more my style as of late. Its always fun when things work well and you just roll right along. My idea for this stave has always been an inspired  style from a Choctaw bow in TBB. This bow is in the Grayson collection. Not trying to copy it but its dimensions and profile are very similar so thinking of finished it up similar with my resources. If things go well, at 57.75", it will be the shortest I have made to this point. I am 1" short of FD atm. I suppose I will end up with a small amount of string follow after shooting in but so far its pretty flat. Spent all my shop time over the weekend working on the final few inches of tiller with sandpaper mostly. This lenght seemed like a good idea until I got 6" from FD and as fast as things were going before...well I sure dont want any frets so slowing it down. Very happy with how it feels after a few short draw shots. Going to clean up the nocks, sand things down a bit, get a proper string made,  then tiller out that last inch and see what happens. Sorry for not getting any pics of this one up sooner.
Mike
IMG_3598 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

side profile just after unstrung

IMG_3599 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2020, 06:21:38 am »
Mike,
           What a lovely bend...Balance is spot on also...I know how careful you have to be with Locust in compression...I think you have fell in love with these bendy's...That looks plain awesome buddy! Wouldn't expect less coming from you either...Like the idea of you sneak'n up on it with sandpaper at this stadium in hand...
                                                                                                                                    Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2020, 07:08:43 am »
Looking good Mike!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2020, 07:08:06 pm »
I have my plan D bow shooting.  I put 60 arrows through it tonight and I am very pleased with how it shoots.  This is a mostly sap wood black locust bow with flipped tips.  I tillered it to my goal weight at 1 inch short of the intended draw weight.  After sanding and shooting 60 arrows, it is 2 1/2 pounds above my goal weight at the intended draw weight.  I now have two good options to send to my victim.  I think I will get them both finished up and start working on my plan C bow (another HHB).

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2020, 10:22:50 pm »
I hollered my victims bow out a little more. I'm going slow and steady. Only working on it when I'm patient enough to be able to make a good bow. I hope this turns out well  :-[
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »
Here is the plan D black locust bow at full draw.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2020, 05:47:39 pm »
  Nice looking bend Swampman...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2020, 11:05:37 am »
I have my plan D bow shooting.  I put 60 arrows through it tonight and I am very pleased with how it shoots.  This is a mostly sap wood black locust bow with flipped tips.  I tillered it to my goal weight at 1 inch short of the intended draw weight.  After sanding and shooting 60 arrows, it is 2 1/2 pounds above my goal weight at the intended draw weight.  I now have two good options to send to my victim.  I think I will get them both finished up and start working on my plan C bow (another HHB).

Very nice.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bushboy

« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2020, 10:11:23 pm »
Everyone's work is looking great.im just getting rolling..still have some time.white elm and Osage in the works
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sleek

« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2020, 01:08:33 pm »
I'm starting another bow, not certain how this one will turn out, gonna have to wait a week though to finish it, I need to make a road trip for family.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2020, 01:12:57 pm »
Here's a few pics. Really wonky, gonna haft tame it down a bit.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline M2A

« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2020, 08:34:33 pm »
Nice to see all the projects coming along, that's part of the fun in being involved in the trade.

Nice looking sapwood backed locust Swampman! That's on my to do list one of these days.

Finished up tillering my project out to F/D. Shaped up the nocks over the weekend. Top is diamond while the lower nock is just rounded over. Got the string made up as well. I have been short draw shooting it it some at home during tillering but today was the big day to see how things went at full draw. 60 or so shots during lunch and seems to be holding up well. Pic below is just after unstringing. Its about 1/2" string follow then and returns to be flat over time. Pretty pleased with this one, hope to shoot it during lunch all week. Provided everything goes as planed I will be putting things together to finish it up. I Hope to use a lot of natural materials to finish it up. Going to use some items I have in other builds and hope to try some new things. More to come on that soon.

Also took a better look at my plan B build to see if anything could be done. I narrowed it up and looks like it has the potential to make a nice bow. Going to spend some time working on it and see what I get. Time will tell...
Thanks, Mike

IMG_3603 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3604 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3605 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr           

Offline Swampman

« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2020, 09:26:50 pm »
Looking real good Mike.  It sounds like another great shooter.  Have fun shooting it in.