Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 77180 times)

Offline silent sniper

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2020, 08:12:02 pm »
My bamboo/osage American style longbow for the trade is coming along pretty well. I am doing the final tiller tweaks before I go forth with finishing the bow. I may soften up the outer third of the bottom limb just a tad, but otherwise it is just about what I am looking for. These asymmetrical bows always throw me for a loop when it comes to the full draw profile.
Cheers,
Taylor

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:15:29 pm by silent sniper »

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2020, 09:54:14 pm »
That bow looks perfect Taylor!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2020, 09:58:37 pm »
Deerhunter, I may be a little late for this post, but if the bow still holds reflex, it sounds like your tiller job is very good. You have not strained the wood to the point of breaking it down, thus the bend is fine.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #363 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:33 am »
Well my plan a came in light by 5lbs. It’s hickory backed Osage. I’m wondering if I can pike it to get some more draw weight. It is 70” long

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #364 on: August 14, 2020, 11:00:08 am »
Deerhunter, I may be a little late for this post, but if the bow still holds reflex, it sounds like your tiller job is very good. You have not strained the wood to the point of breaking it down, thus the bend is fine.

not too late still working up the patience and courage lol, to finish working... sounds good, still think it needs so very, very fine tillering. i want to be able to send my best work out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:06:54 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #365 on: August 16, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
If you look at this you can see where most of the set is coming where you told me to hear treat it. Well I heat treated it and now in letting it rest and get moisture back.

Offline M2A

« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
Went back over the last few pages, seeing some nice work fellas.

Been working on 2, a locust and an osage. 6 inches to go on the osage but only 2" left to go to F/D on the locust. Wanted to get a few pics up tonight drawn in hand but thats gonna have to wait a few days.

I been using one of those cheap carabiner clips on my tillering string to make fast adjustments on string lenght. I used this same clip one the last couple bows I made. Almost came back to bit me today. Was check the feel of the draw in hand on the locust piece much of the day as I was getting close on the tillering. The cheap metal ended up not being able to take the stress and began to bend. Lucky for me I caught it just in time. Guess i'll be out to the hardware store this week to get a few quick links that I can screw closed and that will take the stress. Figured I'd share a pic to maybe save someone from making that type of mistake. Will only be using these clips as hat hangers from now on :)
IMG_3802 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline sleek

« Reply #367 on: August 16, 2020, 08:57:43 pm »
If you look at this you can see where most of the set is coming where you told me to hear treat it. Well I heat treated it and now in letting it rest and get moisture back.

On the pic I drew for you?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2020, 07:48:25 am »

On the pic I drew for you?

yeah. you said to heat treat a little out of the fades and im realizing that that is where the set in the bow is coming from so yeah, it was bending too much where you told me to heat treat.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2020, 11:14:10 am »
argh!! it seems to be bending even more in the fades!!!! its taken a lot more set after the heat treat!!  :'(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:53:35 am by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2020, 11:15:57 am »
anyone have any idea why?? ill get pictures soon.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2020, 12:41:44 pm »
I have tried heat treating weak areas to stiffen them back up. Sometimes it helps, but I had one particular bow that simply could not handle the weight I wanted no matter how much heat treating. The bow ended up being a 30# bow that  still took 3” of set. The wood was simply not good enough to begin with. This is only speaking from my experience, I can’t speak for yours. Your tiller didn’t look too bad before, I’m not sure what’s up unless the wood has given up and collapsing.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2020, 12:50:05 pm »
you know what... im not gonna get pictures right now.... im gonna give it a couple days more to rehydrate. i heat treated it on saturday and only gave it a day.... hopefully thats it and i didnt weaken the heat treated area too much. :fp :fp

Offline sleek

« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2020, 01:06:49 pm »
Sorry man, but rehydration isn't the problem. I have never experienced what you are describing, and it really doesn't make any sense to me. Id need to see side profile strung, unstrung, and full draw to have any chance of adding anything useful.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2020, 01:16:11 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ ok ill get some pics in a hour.... hopefully its just my eyes from looking at a screen all day from online school