Author Topic: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 76667 times)

Offline hoosierf

Re: 2020 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2020, 09:34:58 am »
Nice hickory bow. Great unstrung profile.  Impressive

Offline M2A

« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2020, 09:20:38 pm »
Matt and TimothyR, I don't know a thing about making bows from laminates but think its interesting you guys mixing in the tropical hardwoods in on those builds. I bet up close, in person those bows look mighty fine, plus the benefits of the different wood properties.  Pretty cool.

As far as what I got going on. First off thanks guys, I lucked out with that locust bow and it turned out better than i figured it would. Might make a post for it after I finish it up. The osage bow I had been working on for what seems like the whole trade is kinda a bust. The wood just has too many checks that never did fully go away, and even tho I kept Them in the limbs I'd rather not be sending that out. So I'll finish it up this winter and hang onto it.

So, Im down to my last project I had set aside for the trade this year. I lucked into some local shagbark last winter and thinned this piece out months ago. Its ready for me to make a string and try a few arrows through it. I have it tiller out to 1" short of F/D at my target weight. It holds 1.25" reflex right after unstringing so far and see nothing of concern at this point. Sure do hope it holds up getting shot in. Spent my lunch today sanding it up best I could, and still missed a few tool marks lol. Finished up roughing out nocks when I got home. Its not everyones style but I sure do like working on these scalloped bows. Anyways, here's a sneak peek.
IMG_3873 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
 IMG_3874 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
 IMG_3875 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr                   

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2020, 07:41:53 pm »
way cool on the scalloped bow M2A making one of them is on my someday list  (lol)

here's some pics of my first offering, honeysuckle 59 1/2" ntn somewhere around 30~ish pounds at 26"
 (and sorry the unbraced braced pics got distorted)

tiny little shelf for  arrow placement

upper knock

lower knock
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:58:06 pm by dylanholderman »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2020, 08:13:47 pm »
This one is getting close
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #409 on: September 19, 2020, 08:40:22 pm »
    Looks awesome Bush! All you folks are making this trade interesting to watch with some really nice bows...Mike, love that scalloped bendy bro! Way to go fellas
                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

« Reply #410 on: September 19, 2020, 09:44:08 pm »
This one is getting close

Dagum, thats a nice looking bend there! Can we get a front view on it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2020, 09:46:08 pm »
way cool on the scalloped bow M2A making one of them is on my someday list  (lol)

here's some pics of my first offering, honeysuckle 59 1/2" ntn somewhere around 30~ish pounds at 26"
 (and sorry the unbraced braced pics got distorted)

tiny little shelf for  arrow placement

upper knock

lower knock

That dude is holding some AMAZING reflex! And those nocks looks smooth and just flow with the bow. I like it :) I'm gonna hafta try me some of that wood one day.

Offline sleek

« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
M2A I dont understand scalloped bows, how they work, are tillered, or why they don't break. Thats an amazing bit of work.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #413 on: September 19, 2020, 09:56:33 pm »
As requested..I'm gonna work the top limb a bit to even it out...
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sleek

« Reply #414 on: September 19, 2020, 09:58:54 pm »
Good luck! I'm always nervous about ruining it when i try to make them perfectly even.... Go slow haha....It dont look much off to me.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »
Man I hope my bow is up to the level of satisfaction I’m seeing here.  It’s the most I’ve ever put into a bow.  Gluing some snake skins for the first time ever on it this week. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2020, 08:36:12 pm »
When are we supposed to have these finished up by?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #417 on: September 21, 2020, 09:14:22 pm »
Shipping out October 16 deadline.  I got skins, finish sanding, and sealer left,
.  Down to the wire  )-w(

Offline M2A

« Reply #418 on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:17 am »
Thats some great looking work fellas!

Probably last chance I'll have time to post pics till most of the apple crop is in the cooler, so figured I'd take advantage of the time. Should be done shooting this bow in tomorrow, need to gather up some barberry bark for yellow, grind some bloodroot for orange and already have copper(green) and the walnut hull stain is ready to go. I pleasant surprise I hope is instead of rawhide dog bone for the handle, a guy at work took a coyote the other day and gave it to me. I dont do much in the way of skinning/trapping but was able to get it skinned with a couple pieces of chert the best I could, fleshed, and stretched so hope to have some home grown material for the handle I think. I got the notches cut and burned on the scallops and did a little carving to the top nock. Unbraced photo below is right after 80 shots yesterday. If ya see anything that dont look good let me know. 
Thanks,
Mike
IMG_E3890 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_E3887 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr             

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #419 on: September 22, 2020, 06:26:41 am »
  Mike that "resting profile" says it all...That is one fine bend...Can't wait to see the finished product...All natural paint will be on point man...This build is what defines primitive archery...Tip of the PA hat to you brother...

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;