Author Topic: Some days you should just stay in bed  (Read 2720 times)

Offline DC

Some days you should just stay in bed
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:31:11 pm »
The last thing I do before applying tung oil is burn in my initials. I'm afraid that if I scrape it off I'll screw up the tiller on what is probably my best bow ever. Maybe I'll have to leave it and it will be my "Inverted Jenny". I guess worse things could happen but I can't think of a stupider thing ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Some days you should just stay in bed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:56 pm »
Haha could be worse, I just broke a 30lb chunk of obsidian into 4 broken arrowheads and 2 broken knives. Left a pile of spalls on the ground and walked off. Looks like the bad luck fairy is out today!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:47:44 pm »
And here my day was great.  I'm gonna leave that perfect stave alone after hearing this, though.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 03:56:36 pm »
Just turn the bow over. ;) :D :D Ya I have things like that happen now and then, cut nocks in backwards once, man you talk about feeling stupid. :) When I am working on bows I do a lot of marking, top, bottom, center and such to help me not do such dumb things, that works sometimes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:34:35 pm »
I was doing a horn inlaid arrow pass on a custom bow. I agonized over it for hours getting the perfect fit. When it was all finished and polished up I realized that I had the bow upside down so it was on the wrong side and on the bottom.  )-w( I felt so stupid. Thankfully there was just enough meat on the handle area that I could reshape the handle, rasp the inlay away and do it all over again in the proper place.  (lol)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »
Just turn the bow over. ;) :D :D Ya I have things like that happen now and then, cut nocks in backwards once, man you talk about feeling stupid. :) When I am working on bows I do a lot of marking, top, bottom, center and such to help me not do such dumb things, that works sometimes. :)
 Pappy
I've already cut the arrow pass(not a rest ;)) in and I cut them like Marc St Louis so there's no turning it over. I might be able to pike it a hair just to give me some extra draw weight so I can shave it a bit thinner. I'm not going to fret over it but if the opportunity comes up I will take advantage of it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 05:16:10 pm »
string wrap on both limbs,, to cover it,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:54 pm »
That's a thought :D

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 12:05:05 am »
All you have to change is the straight line. Should be easy to remove it without changing the tiller. Then burn another straight line on the other side of your initials.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 12:19:58 am »
Get greedy and burn your initials after you flip the bow, of course!  Nobody will notice it was burned through the tung oil finish after the next coat or two - maybe )-w( >:D (lol) (lol)!  Perhaps, you forgot to leave a nip of  poteen for the wee folk!  Very important for any endeavor that you have to leave alone overnight!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 02:25:33 am »
Smiley face sticker,.. (lol)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 07:49:55 am »
Different material but the same story. I have a flintlock rifle with a barrel from one of the best rifle barrel builders that has ever been. He signed his name, W. M. Large, with stamps in a semicircle on the side flat of the barrel. On my barrel the G in Large is backwards, this has never been seen on any of his barrels.

When I showed picture of his stamp on M/L sites some claimed my barrel was a fake. Fortunately there was a guy on the site who worked with Mr Large in the 50s making barrels. I had an endoscope picture inside the barrel, Bob Roller took on look at the rifling configuration and said "that is one of Bill's barrels".

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:53:45 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 08:29:28 am »
I've never understood why someone would want to basically do localized damage to a working area of the bow.  We take all kinds of steps to preserve the integrity of the belly and then burn or stamp the fibers right where a chrysal would form?  No thanks.

Used to be quite common in the past too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 08:49:14 am »
I was doing a horn inlaid arrow pass on a custom bow. I agonized over it for hours getting the perfect fit. When it was all finished and polished up I realized that I had the bow upside down so it was on the wrong side and on the bottom.  )-w( I felt so stupid. Thankfully there was just enough meat on the handle area that I could reshape the handle, rasp the inlay away and do it all over again in the proper place.  (lol)

Ooooooohhhhhh! The words I would have chosen to use...………..
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 09:19:22 am »
Was working on a Hackberry Plains "style" bow (the "style" for all of those sensitive to the matter).  Somewhat dark cloudy day to start with and it was getting on toward evening.  Lots of meat to take off the belly, so I fired up the belt sander and went to work sanding...the back. :(
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.