Author Topic: Probably the 1000th post about the Penobscot design  (Read 1779 times)

Offline RedSpectre

Probably the 1000th post about the Penobscot design
« on: February 18, 2020, 12:43:07 pm »
I know I'm skipping way ahead here since I'm still trying the hang of normal pyramids.

But the design and adjustability just intrigues me despite thr clunkiness.

Question is more about string design.

I've seen one where the string connects from the main bow and just loops over from behind.

Another where the string goes from the main bow through the pony limb and all the way down to a small notch at the handle.

Then one where the string goes on top of the pony limb then attached to the front of the pony limb's string notch.

Does anyone who has built these things know the performance difference is between these stringing styles?  Pros and cons?

Is tiller different on the main bow?

Also bow profile when it comes to unstrung transport, how bad is it?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Weylin

Re: Probably the 1000th post about the Penobscot design
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:01:44 pm »
I haven't made one, but the general consensus from people who have is that they are an unnecessary complication and have no performance advantages over a normal bow. It's not something that seems appealing to me, though I wont discourage you with my own prejudice if you have your heart set on exploring the design. I would whole-heartedly recommend getting some more practice designing and tillering straight limbed bows if that's where you're at in your bow building experience. You're not setting yourself up for success by jumping ahead to overly complicated designs.

Offline RedSpectre

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 01:15:51 pm »
I totally get that.  But its more for research than anything. 

I'm not trying to jump ahead since tillering is hard enough, but reading all I can with stuff that isn't covered will help me decide if I even want to waste me time down the line.

And if I do, I already have the information on hand from experienced people rather than wait for it when the time comes. Yknow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 01:16:34 pm »
  I pretty much agree with weylin,, I have seen some post where the bows were made well,, and but not a lot of documentation on improved performance of normal bow,,
I seemed to remember some saying they shot a heavy arrow well.. but dont recall any chrono results that stuck in my mind,,
  it would seem that if you could get the poundage to go up... without increasing the mass of the main limb,, something positive could be happeing,, its a very interesting bow,,

Offline RedSpectre

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 01:28:50 pm »
Yeah. To be honest it was the option for weight adjustability that made me consider it a future potential project.  As well as its funky design.

As long as it's simple, smooth, quiet and will send that heavy arrow like a freight train at a decent speed, that's all I care about.

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 02:34:15 pm »
The 2 things that I have noticed most after having built a half dozen of them. First they are a real conversion piece.When I showed mine to archers who had never seen one they are awed by  the double limb design. Second you can get 10 or more lbs. of adjustment by string twisting, and as a youngster grows with the bow he can increase draw weight. The short double looped string is used on the so called Penobscot from front to back limb nocks.The so called Mic Mac war bow has a longer string that goes from the nock of the main bow and glides on a sliding nock on the back limb ,and attaches to the base of the back limb which is much easier to adjust the string. Mine showed no gain in performance when compared to a good self bow. If your curiosity is killing you build one after you get some bow building experience under your belt.It is a unique bow, and a fun build.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:20:04 pm »
I have always admired them,..I just never got around to making one,..I bet if more guys made them some more advantages might reveal themselves (f)

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:28:05 pm »
Or disadvantages ;D Simpler is almost always better.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 11:14:40 pm »
I meant to say conversation piece.

Offline RedSpectre

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 11:39:58 pm »
Somehow I read it as 'conversation' piece.  When context (or temporary dyslexia) works for ya.  Lol.  No worries, my friend.

Im with Bradsmith.  The more people build something, the more something can be added to make it better. 

Be it marginal at best. I don't know though.  I'm gonna read all I can about the success stories for this damn thing until my eyes bleed alongside. 

Perhaps I can make a new design... Ooo maybe a two piece penobscot...
Thatd be a fun project...

Or a really nifty wooden bomb.

At least I'll have a cool natural wooden take on Pinhead for Halloween years from now.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:30:50 am by RedSpectre »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 12:51:08 am »
Here's a few posts...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55406.0.html                                             http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55963.0.html

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mafort

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 05:17:38 am »
My personal opinion on these were that someone somewhere learning the craft like we are made a weaker bow than intended but needed a bow for hunting. so to make up for it he rigged up a way to get the poundage for hunting weight needed without having to completely start from scratch.... then again it would take more time to make the second smaller bow. Or maybe he had two weaker bows and said “screw it let’s string them together and see what happens” .... either way try one. They are very fun to make..... or maddening depending on your materials.

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 05:48:04 am »
I’m with bassman - they do look fancy and the option to adjust the overall draw strength is handy.
I think the only reason for someone, who’s depending on the performance of his bow, to build one is lack of good bow wood. This way you can couple two inferior staves to one working bow.
I‘ve built one out of curiosity, and there’s neither an increase in performance nor an optimized force-draw-curve. It is completely flat.
Here are some pics:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:34:28 am by TorstenT »

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:32 am »
Torsten - Wow, that bow looks amazing. I've never seen 'dragon's heads' carved on the recurve nocks before. Very well done. The overall design must turn heads every time you take it out. Regardless of performance, the bow certainly looks great.

Offline bassman

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 10:12:05 am »
That is some real art work.