Author Topic: Another primitive African video  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Another primitive African video
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:42:04 pm »
Found this video on you tube.  Video quality isn't great and the noise of the wind is very distracting.

Take aways I found interesting was watching how they straighten their bow staves using heat, beeswax,  and a fork in a tree.  Later in the video, just before a baboon hunt,  the host says that some of these bows are actually up to 80# draw weight.

Also interesting to watch them make rawhide from a critter and turn that in to a bow string...and the way they string the bow is interesting itself.

Add the H of course:

ttps://youtu.be/-OXBfo3k4Sg
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

Re: Another primitive African video
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 10:54:10 am »
I'm interested in the way they tie the bowstrings on the bow. The first time I saw this it looked like just a random bunch of half hitches but I've seen it from a wide group of people. Does anyone have a more detailed video or something that shows it a bit better?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:38:18 am »
I started watching some of these, as well, and saw that one.

DC, I was wondering the same thing.  Two things I've wondered over time regarding these types of bow:

1.  How they tiller them down to be almost a point at their tips.  How does this work with ring violation, etc.
2.  The string and it's bracing technique.  It seems that they must untie the top string everytime they shoot/hunt?

I've never come across anything that explains this well.
1’—>1’

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:24:36 am »
DC,

These are the best images I can find.  Not sure how to recreate the knots, but maybe this gives you somewhere to start?

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:30:52 am »
the first knot looks like something like that
it seems pretty solid