Author Topic: Extra step?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline DC

Extra step?
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:27:41 pm »
I'm wondering if I'm taking an extra step that isn't needed. I've started using a two piece Boo backing so I can have the nodes equally spaced on the limbs. I'm putting in a short handle lam to help tie it together. (The thin white piece right under the boo) I didn't use this with a one piece backing because the backing tied it together. The two piece backing overlaps by about an inch/inch and a half. It takes a full day waiting for the epoxy to cure just for the handle lam. Do you think I could leave out the handle lam? I know the 3 finger splice is overkill but I got the jig working well so it doesn't take any more time than a "Z" splice. It keeps the splice completely in the handle too.

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Extra step?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:43:29 pm »
Just my opinion but with all that glue surface you have with that joint I dought it would fail with out the handle lam but Im curious why you couldnt glue up the handle lam and backing all at the same time vs 2 different glue ups ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:03:35 pm »
I don't think that extra lam is doing anything extra to protect the backing that gluing right to the handle wouldn't do. If you're worried about the integrity of the splice, you're probably good without it anyways.

But if you didn't put the handle lam in, would it look as cool?  ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:07:04 pm »
I'm just not talented enough to put all those pieces together at once and get a good joint.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:08:50 pm »
I don't think that extra lam is doing anything extra to protect the backing that gluing right to the handle wouldn't do. If you're worried about the integrity of the splice, you're probably good without it anyways.

But if you didn't put the handle lam in, would it look as cool?  ;)
It hardly shows and a leather wrap would hide it completely :D

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 02:11:14 pm »
I might be able to get a little more overlap on the backing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 04:25:03 pm »
Your splice on the boo is pretty good.  I don't think you need to worry
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:12:13 am »
I think it's a waste of time. I don't think it's doing much. What's it supposed to do? Tie it together? Whats that mean? Keep it from bending? Blowing apart? All your splices look fine. I'd leave a little more depth in the center of the handle on the palm side, to help fill the natural shape of the cupped palm, and it will also help ensure it doesn't bend there on the next one, and I think you're good.

I've made a bunch of bamboo backed bows and never cut a piece of bamboo in half to better orient the nodes in the limbs. I just shift them to balance their position as best I can, and that's the end of it. Usually they're very close. So I'd say that's unnecessary as well... jmho.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29:33 am »
Thanks guys, pretty unanimous :D The reason for cutting the backing is the last logs of boo I bought have close nodes. On an 8 foot log the longest node is 10" and the short ones are 4". If I went one piece I would have almost twice as many nodes on one limb. It just didn't look good. Other than the many nodes it seems like good boo so I'll go with it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 11:26:15 am »
I think its a problem creation exercise..... If you keep the boo backing as a continuous piece it will never blow (terms and conditons apply ;) )
The belly, being in compression barely needs any fancy joint at all. I've done plenty boo backed with just a very short V or Z splice .
The long fancy splice is only necessary when it goes through the whole bow.
IMO the nodes aren't a problem they are just a cosmetic issue.
Even with the swell at the grip there is still some flex there and your lap joint in the boo could fail, which would make the whole thing blow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:50 am »
I think its a problem creation exercise..... If you keep the boo backing as a continuous piece it will never blow (terms and conditons apply ;) )
The belly, being in compression barely needs any fancy joint at all. I've done plenty boo backed with just a very short V or Z splice .
The long fancy splice is only necessary when it goes through the whole bow.
IMO the nodes aren't a problem they are just a cosmetic issue.
Even with the swell at the grip there is still some flex there and your lap joint in the boo could fail, which would make the whole thing blow.
Del

Well, almost unanimous ;D ;D This is a cosmetic issue. I would much prefer a one piece back. Most of my boo backed bows have been two piece with no problems but then I don't shoot them a much as I should.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:53:37 am »
DC,, I dont remember much, but I do remeber you posting something like,,simpler is better,,
that being said,, I dont think the amount of nodes being different on each limb is a problem,, sometimes things that are different make the composition more interesting,, I think you are good,,

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 09:34:45 am »
When in doubt, wrap with sinew.  ;)

Offline HH~

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 10:01:58 am »
You rounded the belly side of your splice. If that were left a little flatter you could cap that and then run Boo all way down back in one shot.

That splice is plenty tough. Tuffer than the wood I would reckon. I like the boo backing splice but prolly not needed for strength at all.

Gary D made thousands of these splices with no caps or backings on them. He always told me he thought they were stronger than one contiguous stave bow. I have never had one give up the ghost.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 03:13:08 am »
As Marc says.
Frank from Germany...