Author Topic: Tillering and humidity(and some other stuff)  (Read 2601 times)

Offline DC

Tillering and humidity(and some other stuff)
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:47:06 am »
Has anyone noticed negative results when tillering dry wood. I'm just talking about evenness and difficulty, I guess. I realise the DW will go up and there will be a greater danger of explosions but it's just the "getting it to bend nicely" that I'm thinking about.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:59:14 pm by DC »

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Tillering and humidity
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:06:46 pm »
Lately this winter the humidity has been 40-50 percent and it’s allowed me to make some pretty good shooting bows.  I know in the summer when it gets 80-90 percent humid all summer long it was a struggle with all the set the bows were taking.  I need to build a hot/dry box for the upcoming summer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:49:42 pm by aznboi3644 »

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:04 pm »
That sounds like it would work in my favour. Drier= less set.
I'm looking for a reason other than incompetence why my tillering has taken a down turn in the last 6 months to a year. It occurred to me that I haven't gotten any new staves in a year or so, so everything is much drier/more seasoned. It's probably my skills or lack of, combined with fairly extreme designs that's doing it. Or maybe I'm just getting old :D

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:50:55 pm »
What is going on with your tillering that you think it is taking a down turn?  Could it be a lack of patience?  Are you getting more set than you used to? 

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »
Just one limb bent more than the other or a weak spot. Fixable stuff but would bring it in under weight. Like this one, my last bow, weak bottom(left) limb. It's not to FD in the pic. It still shot 197fps@10gpp but I can't help but think that if the limbs were balanced it would have been the one. I'll weaken the top limb to match and see what I get. The one before this was the same and when I sorted it out it lost about 4 lbs but gained 3 fps@10gpp.

Offline maitus

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 02:44:10 pm »
I have fixed similar problem with heat treating. I turned heat gun on max, pulled the limb straight and worked from very close distance so the air flow won't reach to the back of the limb. It was backed bow too.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
Jeez 197fps.  Yeah that’s way out of my league....for now 😁

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 03:11:00 pm »
I have to ask you the question that I have asked you before. What draw length,and what poundage are you shooting to get 197 fps with a 10gpp arrow? That is some real speed.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 03:15:32 pm »
So I worked it a bit. It was 40#, now it's 37# and speed is down to 190. It hasn't taken much if any set still 3 1/4" reflex. Not sure where 7 fps went. I did scrape off the upside down DC so that's a +. It's still not perfect but I'm not sure how the shadows affect it.

Maitus- were you trying to get rid of set when you heated it? I've often wondered about heat and backed(epoxy) bows. Interesting

I have to ask you the question that I have asked you before. What draw length,and what poundage are you shooting to get 197 fps with a 10gpp arrow? That is some real speed.
  It's the same bow that you asked about last time and it was 40@28 when it shot 197. It's not anymore

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 03:18:35 pm »
 Do you drop the arrow weight to reflect the lost poundage?

Offline maitus

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 05:25:09 pm »

Maitus- were you trying to get rid of set when you heated it? I've often wondered about heat and backed(epoxy) bows. Interesting

Yes. I didn't heat too long. I just used high heat for a short time to harden the outer side of the belly. Heat didn't reach to the glue line. Then I put it aside until to the next day leaving it in clamps. And it worked.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 06:54:52 pm »
Do you drop the arrow weight to reflect the lost poundage?
Yes, I have two carbon arrows I use for my machine. I put a weight inside one and I have an assortment of tips to screw on so I can get from 320 to 450 grains in 10 gr increments. It needs some fine tuning but the DW of a bow is never an even pound so I just pick the closest. I go to the next heaviest to keep me honest ;D(unless it's really close ;))

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 06:58:24 pm »

Yes. I didn't heat too long. I just used high heat for a short time to harden the outer side of the belly. Heat didn't reach to the glue line. Then I put it aside until to the next day leaving it in clamps. And it worked.
Did you use epoxy? I'm wondering if the heat allowed the glue to creep and as a result you ended up with a little more reflex. Can't think of any way to test that. :)

Offline Badger

Re: Tillering and humidity(and some other stuff)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:07:54 pm »
  DC, if you got a little bit more limb working that could possibly count for a speed loss due to vibration. The more working limb you have the more opportunity for vibration. Thats why very few glass bows are hitting 190. Really more like distortion than vibration I think.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Tillering and humidity(and some other stuff)
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:08 pm »
this is my take on it,, as you get better at tillering, you get pickier about the tiller,, you just see more and expect more,,
your tillering skill has not taken a down turn,, you are just more critial of the results and are expecting more consistant results,, dont worry,, your skill with catch up to what your eye sees and your expectatioins,, :)