Author Topic: Spray a clear over tru oil?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Spray a clear over tru oil?
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:56:42 am »
I know I’ve done it before. I’m sure I’ve had good luck and not so good luck. Once I’m sure the clear I used didn’t stick good. The rest of times if I recall correctly the clear adhered great and I put another coat or two of tru oil on.

The reason I’m needing a clear to spray over is to lock my airbrush pattern on. I just sprayed wood stain over the tru oil. I like brushing it that way because it doesn’t bleed and I can wipe it off if I don’t like it. The stain doesn’t penetrate the wood so it likes to smudge and wipe off with another coat I’ve tru oil rubbed on.

I wish I could remember what worked for me before. I’ve done it with really nice results in the past. Here’s what it looks like before another coat of tru oil.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Spray a clear over tru oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:29 pm »
Bj, you can airbrush or spray tru oil if you thin it out a bit. You will get the same effect with a much better finish.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:13:24 pm »
Bj, you can airbrush or spray tru oil if you thin it out a bit. You will get the same effect with a much better finish.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. What do you thin it with? Will mineral spirits work?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »
Poly spray is compatible with Tru-Oil. I do it all the time to eliminate the shine of Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 03:44:12 pm »
Poly spray is compatible with Tru-Oil. I do it all the time to eliminate the shine of Tru-Oil.

Thanks Pat B. I was thinking that was what I did that worked before.
Bjrogg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:59:04 am »
I spray spar urethane  over TruOil on osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:28:55 am »
Say, that's pretty dern fancy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:04:47 am »
Thanks for the replies. I went to my local hardware store to get some spray on poly but they don’t sell it anymore. I was looking on you tube and see that Birchwood Cassey has tru oil in a spray can also sound like it can be sprayed with a gun. The tiny amount I want to spray hardly seems worth messing up my airbrush but I might still experiment with it.

Thanks Sleek. I was hoping to finish this one up in time for BOM , but I’m not sure I will.
Here’s another peek
Bjrogg

Offline Stoner

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:31 pm »
Now that's just kool, love the shadow effect. Kinda reminds me of when I taped/masked off my bow limbs in a pattern. Then just placed in the sun. Bodark will get tan lines, kinda sexy. John

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 05:59:23 am »
Now that's just kool, love the shadow effect. Kinda reminds me of when I taped/masked off my bow limbs in a pattern. Then just placed in the sun. Bodark will get tan lines, kinda sexy. John

Thanks John. I’ve seen that done with  Bodark  before. Can make some interesting tan lines
Bjrogg
PS I did spray a coat of tru oil over top with my airbrush. I didn’t thin it. I just warmed it up good and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:02:47 am by bjrogg »

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:58 am »

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. What do you thin it with? Will mineral spirits work?

Bj, you can thin tru oil with, naptha, mineral spirits, and denatured alcohol.
The denatured alcohol when used will dry faster than using mineral spirits. Both work well and will produce a very smooth and thin finish. You can thin it up to 50/50 for most applications. For an air brush I would probably do 60/40 with 60 being the solvent.
Drying quickly is always nice but there are times you want your finish to dry slower. Like the very last coat, it will make it a very hard finish. Also remember that tru oil takes up to 72 hours to abstain a complete cure. But in the right conditions it can be sanded and reapplyed in 30 minutes. As far as naptha goes, I have no experience with it.

Pat, if the shine of true oil is to much for you; try buffing the whole thing down wit 0000 steel wool uniformly. Then apply a little car wax or wax/cleaner and buff it off. It will leave a beautiful satin finish. Plus the tru oil finish is way tougher than any poly. And for me, applying anything over tru oil is tabbo!

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 11:01:22 am »
Patrick, spray poly is easier for me. My wife uses it on her paper mache' so we always have it around.  it only takes a few seconds to do a quick spray and it usually dries in a couple of hours.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 11:15:20 am »
BJ i’ve had good compatibility with shellac and tru oil. I like shellac as a seal coat since it’s dry by the time you’re done putting it on

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 12:11:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone I very much appreciate the info. Hopefully I finish this one up soon and get some pictures to share. Even with a extra day this month I still didn’t finish in February.
Bjrogg

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 09:24:17 am »
Patrick, spray poly is easier for me. My wife uses it on her paper mache' so we always have it around.  it only takes a few seconds to do a quick spray and it usually dries in a couple of hours.

I totally understand Pat, just razing ya a bit.

Patrick