Author Topic: Natural/non-stinky bug repellents?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Natural/non-stinky bug repellents?
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:07:19 am »
I'm hoping to start on my new deerskin/fur quiver soon (still waiting on the tanner).  I'm not sure how this badger got tanned, but I'm a little concerned that the fur/leather might get buggy at some point--lots of hungry critters in the deserts around here. 

I don't want something that's going to smell unnatural and give away my presence to every animal within half a mile.I've read that cedar repels bugs, and I don't see anything munching on my juniper bushes, even in really bad grasshopper years.  So I was thinking about sewing some juniper sawdust, twigs, and/or leaves into the seems and maybe throwing a handful in the bottom of the quiver, too.  Maybe use a bark-on juniper stick for the stiffener.

Wild mint is another possibility that seems to repel fur-eating bugs, but I don't think it would last very long.  I've heard chokecherry leaves are toxic to insects whey they're crushed, but again I don't know how long the effect would last.  Any other ideas?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Natural/non-stinky bug repellents?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:24 am »
You might try smoking the hides in cedar or juniper smoke, or a dusting with borax.  I don't think any treatment will be permanent, though. (=)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:19:00 am »
smoke it real well and no bug will want to be in there!! and im serious!! smokes the best bug repellant!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:57 am »
Wouldn't the smoke be a deer repellent?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:19 am »
Wouldn't the smoke be a deer repellent?

I've never noticed animals getting spooked by the smell of smoke.  Maybe I'll just throw a handful of sagebrush and juniper inside and replace it when it quits smelling.

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:56:01 pm »
My go to for insect repellent is a homemade spray using various essential oils that includes citronella, basil, eucalyptus,  cedar oils.  Works pretty good at keeping all kinds of bugs off of me.  Mix these in a base of high proof grain alcohol (have to shake it up good each time).

Maybe some cedar oil applied this way would do the job.  It won't be permanent but you could use a little spray bottle apply it now and again easily enough.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:22:47 pm »
Definitely interested in your home made concoction, Mesophilic.  Are you using equal parts of the essential oils?  Mix them first before adding the alcohol?  Or. drop into the alcohol then mix?  How much alcohol?  Thanks.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:43:35 pm »
I don't really measure.  Use about 5 drops of each oil in about an ounce of high proof alcohol.

ETA: the higher the proof the better the oils disolve and stay in suspension.  I ues Everclear that I think is around 190 proof, but don't think you can get it that strong in every state.  If it doesn't bother you, rubbing alcohol at 91% also works and is much cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:02:40 am by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 07:28:07 am »
I'm going to make some.  Thank-you.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 07:40:30 am »
How much alcohol?

If you mix it right, it not only repels bugs but can serve as a consolation after you miss an easy shot at a huge buck...

(this is only a joke, and not intended to be medical or psychiatric advice.  ask your doctor whether drinking homemade insect repellent is right for you)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:29 am »
Check out BoeEd's post on "Birch bark oil"!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 11:05:16 am »
Opps'  that's BowEd >:D (lol). FAT FINGER!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
 Bayberry here...Boil the leaves and make a spray bottle full...It runs the hell out of the mosquitos and flies and is natural in my area...It will sweat off if it's hot...Just spray some more...Small smoldering fire works wonders, always wanted to try one of those big firecracker pumps that smolder...Always smell smoke during my hunts from various camp fires and chimneys and the deer are used to it...
                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 07:42:04 pm »
Interesting stuff, guys!  I'm not looking for a mosquito repellent, but some sort of botanical I can incorporate into my quiver to keep moths and other fur- and leather-munching critters at bay.  I think I'll use a juniper twig with the bark on for the stiffener, throw a few sprigs of juniper and sagebrush into the bottom (replaced as they quit smelling), and maybe give it a good pine smoking at the end of every bowhunting season.  That should about do it.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour