Author Topic: Bend through handle cork build up question.  (Read 2802 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Bend through handle cork build up question.
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:37:43 pm »
I have a HHB I’ve been working on. It’s a barely bending handle. I’m planning on wrapping handle and picked up some cork at Hobby Lobby today. I’m just a little curious how others have done it. I’m thinking glue on with TB2 then file or sand to shape. Any finish over top? The rest of the bow already has several thin coats of tru oil.
Plan on lacing up leather handle wrap over top.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bend through handle cork build up question.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:43:13 pm »
I use 1/4" thick cork and TB3, don't be shy with the glue as the cork sucks it up fast. I wrap it with Saran wrap and then Ace bandage and let it sit as-is for 24 hrs. Then take the bandage off. It will take several more days to dry hard. I rough shape (gently) with a bastard file, then tune the shape up with a sanding block. Once I'm happy with the shape I slather it with more TB3 to strengthen it up and waterproof it. Then a few coats of poly over that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:43:59 pm »
I  use painters tape on the bow itself so the glue doesn't make a mess of it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 12:50:49 pm »
Thanks Pearl. How does it look then? I’m wondering if anything that isn’t covered by wrap will look ok? It sounds like you basically stabilize and waterproof the cork with tb3?
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 12:58:32 pm »
The last one I made with a cork handle went to Mikey (Stixnstones). That one I wrapped a white nylon string around the entire area without overlapping, very tedious. It finished off nice. I have made them where the cork was left uncovered beyond the leather grip. It looks fine. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »
Thanks Pearl. I’m wondering if I should get some tb3? All I have is 2.
Bjrogg

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 01:37:59 pm »
I recently used weld bond contact cement on cork to build some bulk into a non bending handle. Works immediately.  The cork sands and rasps easily, but doesn’t look good. For my eye it needs to be wrapped. Good luck.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »
I considered the same stuff, but I wanted it to dry hard to make shaping it easier and cleaner.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »
If you get the finer grain cork I think it looks fine, I’ve sealed up the outside of the cork with CA glue before it darkened and hardened it up nicely but I was always a little worried it got to hard and might crack.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »
Thanks everyone. I did glue one layer on with TB2. I wrap tape sticky side out over that and then snugged it up as tightly as I could with ace wrap.

I think at this point I’m going to plan on wrapping all the cork.

Dylan I was thinking of super glue to firm it up to. How much glue did it use? Seems like it might take a few tubes.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
Here’s a little teaser
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 08:34:59 am »
Unwrapped ace bandage and with a little light file work and some Emory cloth I shaped my cork like so.
Bjrogg
PS I sanded the cork over a piece of paper to catch the dust. I might use it for filler.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
Looking good. You will want to fill those edge gaps or your leather handle wrap will cave in there and make it very visible. Of course that is cosmetic and totally up to you.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 08:49:23 am »
Thanks Pearl. That’s why I saved the cork dust.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 08:56:17 am »
You can also skive those outside edges prior to glue up. That will eliminate that gap as well.